My Rig is Complete! but....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bentem, Mar 31, 2003.

1. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Today i recived my carvin r600 series III amp today to power my avatar b210. It looks great, it feels like a very solid amp. I bought it off of ebay for $400, its in new condition.

This is my first head/cab rig, so i wasnt sure what to expect, but its very noisy. Its a 4ohm cab, so the head is running full power. Its has a very loud hum. I set the eq flat. I messed around with the compressor, but that didnt help. I have a 1/4 monster speaker cable connecting the head and cab. If i got a speakron cable, would that do anything? Is it supposed to be humming so loudly?

When i turn it up, one of the speakers crackles. Also, it seems that there is no low end. Its very trebley and scratchey.
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I pushed the low and mid boost buttons in, and the tone is much better, but something inside is rattling. I couldent open it up.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    those symptoms are not indicative of an amp in 'like new' condition. there shouldn't be any loud hum, because a P-bass doesn't hum.

there also shoudn't be any crackling when you turn it up.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Sounds like something's wrong with the amp.
  5. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    well, the rattling sounds like its coming from the fan. I'll try to open it up, and see what wrong. The humming gets better with some preamp tweaking. The speaker crackel is only on one speaker, and did it when i played other things through it.

How much are the speakers suposed to move?
  6. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Maybe you should try getting a new Avatar cab too. Did you turn the tweeter off as well?
  7. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The tweeter's off.

could the humm be a grounding problem?

and i just emailed dave with a couple questions.
  8. Getting a speakon cable wouldn't solve your problem. It shouldn't be humming loudly (all electronics impart a small bit of hiss thru speakers), have you plugged a different bass into it to see if the sound/hum is the same?

How much should the speakers move? Depends on how much low end and volume you are pushing. If they're extending outward and inward say 1/4" from 'home', that's not unusual for moderate volume levels.

Any new findings, bentem?
  9. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The speakers are probaly moving about a 1/4 inch, but they fart when i have the mid and bass boost on.

Dave said that one of the speakers might be wired backwords.
  10. Hey bentem, try this:

Plug your speaker cable into the cab, (unplug the other end from the amp) touch a 9v battery to the end of the speaker cable, "+" to the tip of the plug and "-" to the sleeve of the plug. Both speakers should extend outward.

If they don't, something is wrong. Let us know if you try this and what you find.
  11. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    One speaker went out, one speaker went in.
  12. Ah ha! Now we're getting somewhere.

Hmmm... looks like your speakers are either

1) out of phase (one is wired backwards)

2) one is blown, so when one goes out the other is pulled in by cabinet vacuum (or verse-visa)

Try removing the speaker that went in, reverse the wiring for just that speaker (don't worry, this will NOT damage speakers or amps) reinstall and try the battery test again.

Q-What do the speakers do now?

Try it with your amp, too. How does it sound?

13. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I re-wired the speakers, did the battery test, and it was fine.

For the amp, i read the manual, and one Troubleshoot thing they had was about the grounding not being right, and making the amp noisy. It said you need some sort of (something, i cant remember). And it turned out i had something similar, that helped the humming a lot.

Now it sounds great, the speakers dont fart, it dosent hum, etc. But the bridge button is jammed all the way in, so i need a pen to push it in and out. I emailed the guy i bught it from.
  14. Good!!!! :D:D

BTW - the bridge switch for my amp requires a pen too, they say they meant for it to work that way so it won't be switched by accident.

I bet the R600 and B210 sound good together.

Have fun.