1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Rig is Finally Complete. (Ashdown and LDS Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atauntaun, Apr 1, 2009.

1. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Thought I would share my new rig with you guys.

A brief history (sort of):
    I had been playing through an Ashdown ABM 410 combo for about 5 years. I really loved that amp and had no desire for anything else. Then I moved and had to deal with carrying a 110lb amp up to my 4th floor apartment. That got old really fast. So I sold it in September and began my search for a new amp.

First I bought a Markbass LMII with the Traveler 210 and 115 cabs. After about a week it went back to the store. Just didn't sound very full to my ears. This was followed by an Aguilar AG500SC, Eden WTX260, a few cabs. Nothing stuck.

I loved my Ashdown so I decided to get a head only version of the ABM500. Wish I would have done that in the first place. Finding a cab was not so easy. I tried tons of stuff and just didn't find what I was looking for. I ordered an Earcandy Buzzbomb 212, long story short that was in September and I'm still waiting for it. Then I stumbled across a thread for LDS - Low Down Sound cabs and ended up with this:

3403236298_fd1da60552_b. 3402431069_90700e7985_b.

It's a 4x8 with 112 neo cab. Total weight is 68lbs. Don was great to work with and options were pretty much endless. I told him I was looking for more old school tone than hi-fi and he delivered. The 8's are nice and punchy and the 12 adds a nice bit of bottom to the whole thing. This thing sounds so much bigger than it looks and I couldn't be happier. Plus from the day I placed my order to the delivery date was only 3 1/2 weeks. Moral of the story, if your in the market for a new cab don't forget to consider LDS. Don makes awesome stuff priced very nicely.

2. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Nice looking rig!

I'd like to hear it.

What's the impedence of the cab? 5 drivers an all???? tweeter-less yeah?

3. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks Bass Collector!

The total impedance of the cab is 4ohms. The two sections are wired separately at 8ohms each. Also there is an input for each section so you can use just the 8's or 12 if you wanted to. It is fronted ported only, no tweeter.

4. what did you pay for the lds?

5. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    $699

6. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005

!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. The grill cloth really sets it off. Amazing price.

+1 for Don being a good person and a good person to deal with.

=wr=

7. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Congrats! and I bet that works really well.

Just for my own interest, with a 4 ohm load the ABM500 puts out 575w yeah? so what you're saying with how it's wired is that the 12" speaker is 8 ohms and is getting half that (say 290w) and the 4 x 8's are wired together so that each of the 8's is getting 70w each (the other approx. 290w split into the 4 x 8" drivers)

Probably a perfect balance? love to hear it! :bassist:

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Looks like a great cab, and 699$! No question that Don is offering some of the best value in the bass world.

9. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    I assume the power is split evenly between the two sections,since each section is using a separate amp output. I don't know about the distribution among the 8's. It does sound very nice and even.