Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My rig is finally nearing competion!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Apr 19, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    So the last you guys heard I had my Dirnt P-bass and a quaint little U5. Well thanks to Mr. Poon I am now the proud owner of a QSC PLX 1602. BAM Kick it up notch.

Now it's cabinet time.

What to get.

My gut feeling says SCHROEDER! I think the natural low mid emphasis of the 1212 will be right up my alley. All the models are LOUD. But I'm concerned about it being able to handle the 1602 at 4 ohms bridged. Has anyone safely used their small box schroeders with high wattage power amps at peak power?

Are there really any rivals to the Schro in terms or volume, low mid tone and portability?

And I'm wondering if I'd be better served with 10's in the cab as well, because i'm using a P-bass with a Pre that favors strong fundamentals.

In that case is the 21012 better suited for the wattage peaks of the plx1602 than the 1212?

Thanks,

Mike

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I'd go with the 21012 or the 410. Jorg's personal description of the 410 is that it could be compared to a 410+115 or an 810.... so it might be all you need. But maybe you want the enhanced lows of the 21012.

Either way, I'd get a large box.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't worry about the power limits as long as you listen to the cab and don't get carried away (careful of boosting the low end too much, etc.).

If you're concerned with playing in a really loud band and don't have PA support, I'd go for one of the larger cabs. The 1212 can get very loud as well, but I haven't heard one at it's limits yet.

The cabs with one or more 12" drivers will give a thicker, meatier mid-bass and low end.

The 410 handles low B very well (not with the depth of an ACME), but very solid and powerful. The 410's low end and mid-bass is very fast and punchy.

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    So, thanks to reviews like the excellent ones from Big String, i think the 410 is going to be the way to go with my current rig.

If ANYONE out there has a schoeder 410 or 21012 in NYC - I'd love to come by and give both a test before putting up $900+ for the cab. but if I must purchase without trying - then a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do for tone.

The positive aspects of the large cabs are clear - LOUD, still portable, kind daddy's of projection. However, I need a cab that will be much more managable in all varities of rooms. Plus with my P-bass and the Avalon - I do have to be careful about TOO much lows in crap rooms. I'd rather sacrifice meaty lowend for all around cut and clarity. I'm trying to design a rig that has very minimal eq options (heck I can always get an eq later right? :)) but If I can have a great flat tone with little fiddling - I will be very happy.

I will have a chance to play my U5/PLX through a bergie NV610. I know String is very loyal to his bergs. In fact, I too love the 610 - but alas its still a bit big. who knows - I may just run away with it from my rehearsal space :D

I do wish String had posted a comparision of the NV610 with the 410. i guess I'll have to dredge the Shroeder Uber thread for any related comments.

But interms of classic bass cabs if I had to choose between an 810 or a 215 - i'd go with the 810 - so maybe the schroeder 410 is the way to go. Any more input from 410 users would be great (thanks Lo freq). Even better if you use an avalon and plx into the 410.

Mike, over and out

5. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I have to admit - I am a little worried about rolling into venues that provide house cabs (A common occurance in NYC -IMO) with an amp that pumps out 1600Watts RMS at 4ohms bridged. Most of these places have only one cab- and I realized that I can't run just one side of the PLX. How do you PLX owners overcome this problem without bringing your own cab?

What about a custom load box? Similar to Weber's MASS - but with high power speakers with No cones. I could use the box for one side and the house speaker for the other. What do you guys think?

I'm just worried about blowing up cabinets that aren't mine. However, it'll still be a little while before I can pony up the dough for a cab (I have not one to my name right now.)

How do other TB'ers get by at a gig with a high powered amp and say a 400watt house 4ohm cab?

thanks,

Mike

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Um... if I'm not mistaken... you can. At least that's what I do a lot of the time with my RMX... not sure if the PLX is somehow different, but I dont think it would be. Set it for stereo function, plug one channel into a 4ohm cab and BICKITY-BAM (thanks Jay and Silent Bob), your running 500Watts into that cab. Perfectomundo.

7. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'm an idiot. I'm just new to this whole "Power amp as a part of an instrument rig" thing and I don't want to blow other people's sh** up. So I say game on. And for those of you who wonder what the avalon sounds like through a bergie NV610 I'll let you know within the week Wahoo!

Mike

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    First off, I use a Dem 201S -> PLX1602 -> Schro 410.
    The Avalon U5 should sound a bit warmer than my rig, so if you're concerned about room-boom, the 410 should work better than the Schro's that have 12" in them.

If you want to check alternatives to the Schro 410 and are interested in Bergs, you should audition an NV425.
    I haven't heard one yet, but from the descriptions by people I trust, it might work for you, despite having a 15" driver (should help it project better than the NV610).

If you're concerned about overpowering a cab with a bridged PLX1602, just cut the attenuator (of course, watch the hotness of the input chain, it can still hit full power with enough input signal). Mainly use your ears and don't make drastic changes to the low end EQ.