Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Rig Is Secured! Check It Out!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Angus, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, went down to Bass NW today, and bought my cabinets! Check it out:

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro
    Bag End Q410-DX 4x10
    Bag End S18-D 1x18

Yay! Im going to add probably a rackmount effect or two later, or something of that nature.

Man, this is the BEST sounding stack ive ever heard. The Co-axial in the 4x10 is awesome. Its basically a hidden tweeter, but nowhere NEAR as harsh. VERY smooth. This is a freakin incredible combinatin! Bag End for all!

I got pretty good prices too, it was (without tax) about $2500 for all of it. Money WELL spend. Hey, maybe ill even post a picture! Damn, its some good stuff.

Any questions/comments? Bag End people, speak up! There need to be more! Man, Bag End have got to be the best cabinet brand around! Im in love! :D

2. Congrats, seems like a pretty sweet rig.

3. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Wow. When I was 14, I could barely scrape together two grand for gear.

:rolleyes:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congrats! Sounds like the penultimate rig ... mo' bitchen. I was 27 when I bought my first rig ... a '65 P-Bass and a 50-watt Bassman head and 212 enclosure. I bought it used from a guy for $350, which I had to borrow from AVCO. I think I'm still paying $15 a month on that 23-year-old loan. Should be paid off by 2007. Congratulations again.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    As someone looking for a new rig that sounds like a seriously loud set-up. Jealousy prevents me from saying anything else. :)

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Angus,

I thought you were leaning toward SWR cabinets. Why the radical switch? Not that I blame you - I find them too harsh.

I played through a Bag End 1X15 in the store once - pretty beefy. How low does that 4X10 go? Is it suitable as a "stand alone"? Did you try out any other models of Bag End?

I've been considering getting some Acme's for a while, but keep having second thoughts. I have the power at last, but can't decide whether to get 4 ohm, or 8.

Anyway, tell us more about what those babies are capable of.

Bob

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The 4x10 can go REALLY low, lower than ill ever go, and i play with lots of bass! But it also can go really high and midrangy, if desired (ick, why?!). It has more sonic range than any cabinet ive ever heard. And the co-axial keeps it from bein at all harsh. Very, very smooth. If they had 2 4x10s there, i wouldve gotten that. This 4x10 is the best cab ive ever heard. I definitely recommend it!

Yeah, i was going to go with SWR (i like its sound, but i also turn the tweeter waaaaay down), but man, the Bag Ends are WAY more versatile, and they are freaking light. I can almost carry the 4x10 myself (but, broken hand), and i can easily carry the 18. VERY light. The 18 isnt only about 40 lbs! The other cool thing is that they are REALLY loud! Ive never heard such loud cabinets.

I definitely would recommend these to anybody. Any other questions? ":D

8. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    I think that BagEnd is great also, but are you going to throw an ELF OR ELF 2 Processor in your stack? that would make it reall beafy, Going down to 18 Hz or 8 Hz. There stuff is expensive but worth the money.

9. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Way to go Mega Angus. Like you, I went what I thought was over board on Bag End. So after all this time I still get a smile when I look down at that Deep Red.

There are many fine products for bass out there. It's all what you want.

To respond to Babs the S18-D is rated at 50-2kHz, sensitivity 101 dB, 8 ohms, 300w-600w peak,68lbs, and is not used in conjunction with the ELF processor.

The S18E-D is rated at 8-95Hz, sens 96dB, 8 ohms, 400w-400w peak, 69lbs and should be used full bandwidth with any ELF processor.

The Bag End product line is extensive and the model numbers begin to get confusing. Since there marketing seems to be limited or very Pro orientated, one should refer to their web site or a catalog when shopping.

10. Congrats Mega....

I'm extreamly jelouse.

11. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Mega, congrats my friend.
    You got one sweet rig in your hands now. Enjoy!!

12. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    You may wanna change your name to Thor, thats one thunderin rig. I, like you, have the 418 118 set up cept i have it x2. Go get'em killer!

13. feelmybottom

feelmybottom

Oct 27, 2000
    I'm green with envy. Congrats on what I know will be a killer rig.
    I'm looking to buy the Q10BXD, S18E-D with the elf.
    For a pre-amp I'm leaning towards the Kearn but have not yet decided. Now, the power amp(s) have to be decided.
    Decisions, decisions.
    I think I can put together enough cash to get the cabs & the elf in 2 weeks, the pre-amp & amp will have to wait for a while.

Who is the best company to deal with for the cabs & elf? Any good/bad experiences?

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ooo, the 18 with the Elf would be HUGE! Contact BassNW about it, they have better prices han any place ive seen, and, theyll do all the work for you.

Id suggest youd get either a seperate power amp for the Elf Cab (the elf only goes to one cab), because it eats up power. Youd probably need at least 2000 watts for that Elf processor. A lot, i know, but its worth it! So you may want to check out Stewart World (quality), and QSC. The Elf takes a LOT of wattage to run properly. But damn, they rule!

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Way to go!!!Absolutely outstanding choices!