1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Rig or House Rig? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RTL, Mar 12, 2009.

1. My Rig

24 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. House Rig

44 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. You're an idiot

13 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Carrots!

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Okay, I'm putting the fate of my tone in the hands of TB-ers for my gig tonight. Here's the rundown..

-1AM gig (we will be the last band of the night).
    - We'll be playing no more than an hour, I'm sure.
    -Very little pay involved (It is Austin, after all).
    -There are stairs. Lots of stairs. Metal ones with 90 degree turns. Oh yeah - and the stairs are outside.
    -It's the night before SXSW officially gets underway, so there will probably be some "people to know" in the audience.
    -It's one of the more well-known clubs in Austin (Momo's).
    -I'm a tone nazi, and I'll be playing my fretless Roscoe LG-3005.

My Rig:
    Aguilar DB750 + Bergantino HT322 (with casters, thank god)

House Rig:
    Hartke 3500 + (2) Avatar 112's (I think they're Deltas)

I know I don't like the Hartke 3500, but I've never played this bass through one. Avatar cabs are great, but I really don't see myself bringing just my head either..

Would it really be worth it to bring the whole (extremely heavy) setup to such a short gig? Or should I just be a man and suffer through the set and have almost zero setup/tear down?

2. What are you nuts... 1 am, probably front of house support... use the house rig. Duh! I'm as big of a fussy gear geak as anyone, but even thinking about bringing your rig is silly IMO. If you can play, it won't matter for one set, and I again assume you have front of house support.

And quite frankly, with a Roscoe fretless, you might actually get more definition and growl from that more mid oriented house rig than your very nice, but big, wide and open sounding rig. IMO!!!!

3. Take a DI(to FOH) and use the house rig.IMO.

4. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I guess I forgot to mention. The club has one of the best sounding PA's in town (IMO), so FOH support is absolutely guaranteed.

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    if you're worried about tone, just take your head!
    its really a compromise. i know, you don't want to,
    but if you don't like the hartke that much....

yeah.

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    bring your own...you know you want to

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...not likely that "people to know" are going to say, "Oh my god he's playing through a Hartke!" ...more likely to notice that you're cooperative and not making a big deal about set-up.

...naw, truth is, they won't likely notice at all!

I vote use the house rig!

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    The situation you describe says use the house rig in every way. On a gig like that there is no such thing as a "tone nazi", only a prima donna. A 3500 and 2 avatar 12s, providing they aren't blown of course, should be easy for any real player to dial a usable tone out of. It may not make you completely happy, but it will get the job done, and make the house remember how easy you were to work with. Trust the house system. Momo's knows what they are doing.

Have fun at the SXSW!

9. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Oh, I don't care about people seeing what I'm playing through.. It's totally a tone thing.

10. Exactly! Bringing your own rig to a gig like that is kind of 'kid garage band stuff' IMO.

You will thank us all at 2:15am also.

Cool that you are involved in this type of gig. Good luck, and knock 'em dead!

11. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Especially since Victor plays Hartke now. :smug:

I like my tone. My gear is part of my tone. I use my gear.

12. I'd say just bring your head, and have it ready on stage when you go up. Unplug harkte, plug in Aguilar, rock out. If you sound good, you'll play good, and it sounds like a good gig.

13. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    can someone please explain what this whole "carrot" thing is?

14. House rig.

Carrots; because there's no bones in ice-cream...

15. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Carrot
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The carrot (Daucus carota subsp. sativus, Etymology: Middle French carotte, from Late Latin carōta, from Greek karōton, originally from the Indoeuropean root ker- (horn), due to its horn-like shape) is a root vegetable, usually orange or white, or red-white blend in colour, with a crisp texture when fresh. The edible part of a carrot is a taproot. It is a domesticated form of the wild carrot Daucus carota, native to Europe and southwestern Asia. It has been bred for its greatly enlarged and more palatable, less woody-textured edible taproot, but is still the same species.

It is a biennial plant which grows a rosette of leaves in the spring and summer, while building up the stout taproot, which stores large amounts of sugars for the plant to flower in the second year. The flowering stem grows to about 1 metre (3 ft) tall, with an umbel of white flowers that produce a fruit called a mericarp by botanists, which is a type of schizocarp.[1]

16. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Yeah, that's pretty much true. I've played this club several times before, and I've always brought my own rig, but this was mainly because it was a longer gig for real money. It really doesn't seem worth it to bring that much amp to such a small deal. The sound guys are really cool there (seems to be a no ego zone) and they certainly know what's what when it comes to FOH. I trust 'em.

In this case, the house wins :D

And yes, I will be thanking you guys especially when I get out of bed tomorrow morning :D

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    House rig, but bring a good DI if you have one... I played a gig last week with a 3500 and two of their 410 cabs, and it sucked - but because I had a good DI signal and a good sounding bass, by all accounts it sounded great out front - where it really matters...

- georgestrings

18. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Definitely use the house rig IMHO and I do agree that NOT using it would make you look like a prima dona. If there's good FOH support, just show up w/ your instrument (and pedals/di if need be) and play. You'll look much better in anyone's eyes if you can be a bit more flexible. It sounds like the equipment's probably going to be in good shape, so go for it!

19. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I voted carrots, but am saying house rig. I mean, do you really want to carry your rig up those outdoor metal stairs in this weather? It's not supposed to clear up until sunday...

My old band had our CD release party at Momo's. It's a fun place to play. Enjoy yourself!

edit: and besides, your roscoe will sound good through anything!

20. As for myself,I could always get a good sound from the 3500.IMO,I always thought the Hartke was a good bang for the buck too.I gigged one steady before switching to my Eden WT-800.