My rig was smokin' today! literally!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maxxx, Aug 21, 2005.

1. maxxx

Feb 9, 2005
    So today I was trying out my finished <a target="_self" href="">New Rig</a> with the band for the first time. Got settings I liked, played for about 15 minutes... really loud. I was having fun shaking peoples insides and matching the guitarists. After a little bit there was a really annoying high-pitched noise. We thought it was one of our guitarists equipment because his feedback-suppressor thingy had a dead battery so he was already getting nasty feedback. We finally figure out its my stuff and by that time the air already smells of burned plastic/rubber and smoke is coming out of the front ports of my avatar 212 (~6 months old cab). So I dunno, I tried to check the ohmage on the tweeter (tweeter was off by the way) and it was between 10-5 ohms. Pictures of the crossover attached :bawl:

So... here's some questions:
    1) Am I screwed? Should I just get a new cabinet? - I'm guessing highly unlikely.
    2) Is there any way I could cut out the tweeter connection from the cabinet completely avoiding any more damage, but keep the same crossover?
    3) Am I going to need a completely new crossover?
    4) Is burning plastic/rubber by far one of the worst smells ever?

Attached Files:

2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd talk to Dave at avatar before doing anything. Its possible you had a bad tweeter or crossover. I'm sure Dave would help you figure out the best course of action, and would probably replace the parts for free if they were indeed defective.

As for the worst smell ever I'd have to give that award to burnt human flesh. You never forget that smell, especially if its your own.
  3. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    looks as if your fried an L-pad.
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Looks like my crossover :)

I burned mine out as well on accident but I had an old crossover that made the horn usless anyhow so I didn't worry.

get ahold of Dave and he could send you a whole new input panel with a new crossover
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You cooked the LPad. That's usually caused by having the pad turned to a quarter or less. LPads work by diverting energy away from the tweeter and burning it off as heat, and the condition of yours shows just how much heat that can be. Get a new LPad and in the future try running it at a setting of at least half, controlling your highs more by turning down the HF EQ on your amp than turning down the pad.
  6. maxxx

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I talked to Dave and he'll be sending out a new part my way. Awesome guys with awesome service!

Anyways, it was recommended that I just unplug the tweeter altogether since I don't use it and it would lower the chances of any reoccuring problems. However I had some questions about that maybe you guys can answer:

When unplugging the tweeter, do I just unplug the wires connecting into it and I'm done? If not please elaborate. Or do I need to unconnect something on the back panel as well?

Another question, if I sucessfully disconnect the tweeter, will heat still go into the l-pad because the signal has nowhere to go, or does it just discontinue sending a signal altogether towards the tweeter because its no longer plugged?

And finally, with a disabled tweeter, will it even matter what settings (all the way down, all the way up, in between) I use on the back control knob?