my rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by learning_towalk, May 6, 2004.

1. well I just got my Avatar 410, aside from the hissy horn it is better than any SWR and just as good as any Ampeg that I've ever used...It has Plenty of low end and goes all the way up to wailing highs...this thing is powerful too (1400watts)!!!

my rig as of right now is...

Furman RR15nl>
    open space>
    Presonus Bluemax>
    Sansamp RBI>
    vent spacer>
    Carvin DCM1500>

and I just bought a BBE 362 that should be here in a few days to put in that open space.

I was gonna get a 115 to go with the 410 but I don't see why I need it...this thing is PLENTY loud and has GREAT lows...not saying that I won't add one later on but for now this is perfect!

I am currently using an Ibanez SR506

but I'll be getting a Peavey Cirrus 6 (redwood) towards the end of the summer...

and either an Engleheardt upright, or a 5 string ergo stick (which actually sounds really good for an EUB)

I'll be able to give a full review of my rig tommorrow (i have two gigs tommorrow) but I just wanted to post my rig...because I am happy :)

an 18 yr old kid shouldn't have this much equipment :D
  2. :cool:

I live about an hour away from the Avatar factory, I'd like to visit them one day.

Re: the 'hissy' horn.... remember that speakers only 'do what they are told', in other words, the tweeter isn't causing the hiss, it is only making the sound that is being fed to it. Can you turn down the tweeter level? Do you know which component is the biggest contributor to the high end hiss in your system? You might try removing each component that is upstream of your power amp to see which one is giving you the majority of hiss.

Good luck, glad you like the Avatar! :)
  3. the only other thing I'm running right now is my Compressor and it's never hissed before...I think the RBI's treble setting is what's really doing it...I rolled it all the way down (pretty much) and that helped it quite a bit but it's still noticeable

also cheap stock preamp in my bass may have a lot to do with it too...

I'm thinkin about getting a Boss NS-50 noise suppressor to put inbetween my pre and power amp to cut some noise...what do you think?
  4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats on the rig and the Avatar B410. I love mine as well.

Although I believe bimplizkit is totally right regarding that the components provide the hiss and not the cab, some cabs just magnify this more than others. My B410 magnifies my hiss lots as well, IF I leave the tweeter knob more than past the 9-o'clock position. That would be my fault if I did because there is an adjustment for it. Some people even leave the knob all the way off! I like to leave it at about the 8-o'clock position or around that.

Anyway, the hiss that it does give (mine at least) is definitely not audible during shows nor even at practice. Only if I put my ear right up to the grill and listen when quiet. Plus, after adding in my compressor, the noise gate TOTALLY took care of that. Shoot, I know we all hear the crazy hum/hiss/noise coming from our rhythm/lead guitarists gear! Why can't we have a little sometimes? :D

5. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    OH, also, try changing the order of the way the sound runs through the equipment as some add/lessen noise depending on where it is in the chain. I think there are lots of sites (or even threads here in TB) that explain where best to put certain effects/gear in the chain for least amount of noise.

Good luck!

6. alright so I test drove the rig tonight...we had a sound check for our gig tommorrow night...

I'm gonna have to get a 15" to handle the lows...the 410 just didn't like the B at high volume it got kinda farty, but I don't wanna lug around a full size one, so I'll buy a SB115 (small and under 50lbs, but still 600watts)

the tone of my rig is GREAT,it could be a lil clearer but I'm hoping that the BBE will handle that...
  7. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good call on the 1x15. True, I admit that as much as I love my B410, I'm sure most people would agree it doesn't get as low as the low-enders want. Shoot, even my normal tuned 4-string @$$ finds a bit of low end envy now and again...

Check the specs on which 1x15 your going to get though. The SB115 has the -3db tuned to 64hz, while the B115 has the -3db tuned to 50hz. I'd say that would be a noticable difference, theoretically at least.

Yeah, it's 20lbs lighter for the SB, but make sure it gets you the sound you are diggin' deep for! I'm REALLY thinking about picking up one of those 1x15s for me too! The SB115 might be good enough for my "not too low" demands. Word!

8. Tell me what youse think of this rig....

Aguilar DB680 preamp...
    Yamaha P5000 / Crown XS700 power amp...
    Acme Low B2 (x2).... :bassist:

for smaller gigs, i'd just use the one cab.
  9. The Boss NS 50 is an excellent half rack unit.

It has Instrument Level (Guitar) I/O and Stereo Line Level (+4/-10) stereo I/O's;
    which make it very flexible.

You can use them for just about any application:

-In a p.a. or mixer loop as a gate for the entire mix.

-recording old analog material to digital

-for Noise Suppression of Pedals AND
    Line Level Effects at the same time, even though just plugging
    it into the FX loop running Mono (left) would be quite 'effective.'

I've found it to be excellent for stringed instruments by allowing for a nice long sustain taper.

However, like always YMMV and one mans gold is another mans garbage.
  10. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

I received my SB115 last week and it's great. I can't tell you how much it thickened up my tone. Part of it has to do with adding it to my B212 and getting the full wattage from my amp at 4ohms, too.

The SB115 sounds great by itself @ 8ohms too, btw.
  11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Robman,

Congrats on getting your SB115! GAS envy! :hyper: (GASE?)

Question: Which outputs more volume on it's own, the B212 or the SB115? Theoretically, the B212 should, right? I'm curious that if I get the SB115 and combining my B410 with it is just TOO CRAZY for smaller shows, would it be beneficial for me to leave behind the 85lb B410 and just take the SB115? The SB115 will give me long throw, but I'm afraid of not having enough punch from my 10's. Your opinion or anyone's opinion of the SB115 would be much appreciated. Thanks!

12. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Yeah, the B212 is louder by itself and HEAVY when paired with the SB115. I plan on using my SB115 for light practices and maybe smaller shows. The thing is a monster sound wise, should have come with a "ball-sac!" I think you would be happy with one. You'll probably do like I did when I first tried it out - just stood there with a stupid grin on my face, soakin' up the sound I was hearing. I'm sold on Avatar and am cosidering a B410 later on.
  13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeahhh, now your getting into what I got hehe. Yeah, that B410 is a monster as well (just in a different way). Punch for days and LOUD x 3. With the 1x15, I will be a huge scary demon of heart caving proportions. :eek: :bassist:

Actually, I'm even thinking that might be a bit much and go to a B210 and SB115 setup. Think I'll get the same sort of sound as my B410 except with more boom? Or rather what I'm asking is, is 4x10s a bit of 10" overkill when I could be taking two of them away and adding in a 1x15 for reinforced low end for an overall better sound? Just for clarification purposes, I play in a rock setting.

Actually, I'm going to start a new post so as to not clutter the original intent of this one. Thanks!

14. well I just got in from my gig (actually my 2nd gig of the day) the one tonight I used my rig with the Avatar and the rest of the sounded GREAT...the lows came across really well tonight, go

my rig sounded GREAT, couldn't ask for a stronger sound...

i think the hiss is coming from my bass' preamp (stock Ibanez) I may get an aggie to put in it (or a Fodera ;) )

overall i'm EXTREMELY happy with my if only it didn't weigh so much :rolleyes:

but over all it's GREAT