1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My right thumb...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ual, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ual

ual

Aug 12, 2010
    Perth
    Hey guys. I've been playing bass for a couple of years without lessons so until yesterday (which was my first music theory lesson with a bassist) I always played with my thumb laying flat over all the strings to mute them. The first thing my teacher told me was that I should rest my thumb on either a pickup or the E string. It feels weird and I'm having trouble with it, so I just wanted to know if laying your thumb flat over the strings is actually bad for your hand or something.

Cheers

2. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England

3. ual

ual

Aug 12, 2010
    Perth
    I see! Thanks buddy, I'm one of those people who tends to freak out if they think they're doing something that is unergonomic and might cause long term pain. Floating thumb yay :)

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Nothing wrong it what you are doing. If your teacher insists you change, then change your teacher as this is not an issue.:)

5. The floating thumb method is a perfectly acceptable mode of playing Alphonso Johnson also uses that technique, perhaps your teacher needs to expand their tool bag.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021