My rigs getting taken away

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Aug 11, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    2-3 weeks ago i got a ampeg b2r and 8x10 classic cab with a korg dtr-1000 in a rackcase for for. it was sitting in my friends garage and belong to a bass player whos band had split up and he left it there for 7 months. so he gave it to me no i have grown atteached it . my friend told me the guy wants it back. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you want to be technical about it, I think HIS rig is getting taken away. You should write a note to the guy saying "Great rig, thanks for letting me borrow it" and then go pick one up for yourself.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    At least you've been able to enjoy it for a few weeks. If you really love it and have got some money, make him an offer - he probably won't take it if he's now got another gig lined up but he might if he just wants to reclaim his stuff rather than letting it disappear.

4. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    the thing is my friend that gave it to me wanted a new guitar amp. that he didnt have the money to buy . i think he got smart and whats to take the rig he gave me (didnt belong to him either) back so he could sell it or somthing. if thats the case is the amp legally mine if the original owner doesnt want it back ?
  5. No!!

If your friend didn't own it either, he wasn't entitled to give or lend it to you!! :eek: :eek:
  6. Rav

Rav Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Its not yours.

Just because you suspect your buddy wants to sell it fraudulently doesn't mean you have grounds to keep it. It was never yours to begin with.

If you want it contact the origional owner and make him an offer on it. If he abandoned it for 7 months he might not even care what happens to it and might practically give it to you.

If the origional owner sells it to you make sure you get a bill of sale that clearly has the serial numbers listed.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I can't believe we're even having this conversation . . .

Sad state of society when someone thinks its theirs, and never paid a dime for it.
  8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    +1. "Is the amp legally mine?" We really need a :speechless: smiley.
  9. Let's put this in context. I recently got a copy of "Elmo in Grouchland" for my 2 year old grandson. There is an evil character in the video named Huxley. Huxley believes that everything he touches is his. Therefore when he steals Elmo's blanket, it is no longer Elmo's, it is his!.

Fenderaholic, get a copy of "Elmo in Grouchland", watch it a few hundred times and try to learn to distinguish between the meaning of the words "his", "yours" and "mine". It is working for the two year old, maybe it will work for you.
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, it's not ALL THAT unreasonable..... there is such a thing as abandonment of property, where the party who's had it taking up space is entitled to dispose of it, sell it to recover storage costs, et al....

However, that's not the case here. In the cases where that does come into play, it's preceded by a series of legal moves, including registered letters to advise the owner that disposal will take place if he/she does *not* pick up the item(s).

No, it's not yours.
  11. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It's mine. Give it back ;)
  12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

No kidding. :scowl: Wow.
  13. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003

Fenderaholic, like everyone else said, you should call the original owner of the rig and ask him if he's willing to sell. Your friend who wants to sell it has no right to, and he could possibly get in trouble if he did. He didn't have the right to even give you another guy's property in the first place.

14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This thread contains a tragedy. Try to spot it.
  15. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You can't be serious. Surely you forgot to tell us "just kidding" or something? How can you possibly begin to think that that amp is yours? So what, you've been playing on it. Your friend gave it to you, and it wasn't even his. Man, if that was my amp, I'd have your head, and my amp back. I can't believe this, really.

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The real tragedy is that it was posted in the first place :eek: :confused:
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh, yeah, I see it - great catch!
  18. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Brilliant post! :)
  19. Sure, its the methadone of basses. Allows you to play bass to satisfy the craving, but without the waves of pleasure that wash over your body when you're playing a nice Fender bass, which is the addictive part.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like my two beagles.