Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Ritter basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mackerel, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Hello everybody,

I recognized that some of you seem to like Ritter basses. So here are mine which I designed myself.
    All Ritter basses get names when finished, so my 5-string is called Nature Boy and the 4-string is called Mackerel.

[​IMG]

[[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nature Boy features a figured maple body with ebony stripes, a 36" scale carbon neck, built in Boss SYB-3 Bass Synthesizer, Ritter BB1 5-string Tremolo System which operates with 4 high tech radial miniature-ballbearings, 2 Ritter Master Bar Triblebucker Pickups put into ebony cases and a special Ritter Master Electronic system which allows you to switch the sound of the humbucker pickups into a single-coil sound. Topped off with Gotho GB 70 mechanics and 3 Schaller security locks, it needs three 9V batteries to get you up and running!

[​IMG]

Mackerel also has a carbon neck and a TCM 3 electronic by Noll. It has two Bartolini PS1 Soapbar Humbuckers and just like Nature Boy it has a Ritter BB1 5-string Tremolo System which operates with 4 high tech radial miniature-ballbearings. It also has a custom aluminium pickguard.

By using a push/pull knob they can also be played passive. Both basses play and sound just awesome.

I hope I used correct english for all technical details

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Those are both lookers, thats for sure!

I myself and head over heels for a Ritter Classic 4 in a dark blue version of the Black Marble finish. I think that'd just about fix my 4 GAS for a loooong time. To bad they're spendy :(

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, those are very nice.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dude that 4 string is frickin amazing!!! i actually saw that on their site about 6 monthes ago and was thinkin what a cool bass. Cool to know a fellow TBer owns it. If you dont mind me asking how much did u pay for her? i mean if thats not cool u dont have to answer but im just curious. Congrats on both bass, amazing.

5. Well, I can say I spent some money!

But a Carl Thompson for example with the same stuff in it would cost twice as much as I payed!

Jens offered me very cool prices especially for Nature Boy.
    It's 4 years since I got Mackerel and in this time we became kind of friends, talk to each other on the phone twice a month and meet at the Frankfurter Musikmesse (something like the European NAMM)every year.

6. I really like Ritter's basses and those two are excellent examples.

7. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Those Ritters are not my style (A bit extream in looks) but I do respect the design. I was looking into the "Classic" series but have since given up. Brand new they are just way too much money. Used, well I had a few I could have grabbed but one didn't sound right and the other guy backed out on me. So I gave up. hahahahahaha.

interesting designs!

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I remember seeing those on the Ritter site. Nice basses you have there.
    I myself am jonesing bad for a Jupiter model...
    Jens sure seems like a great guy. Hope I can pay a few bills for him one day.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I especially like Nature Boy! Both Ritter and DHuff have exciting new takes on the Carl Thompson vibe.

10. :eek:

Amazing basses.... that's all the my mind can say right now. If I had the money, I'd order one this second. I love ritters. I may be jumping to conclusions, but GAS will do that to you!

11. Well, I think Ritters are much cheaper than alembics, sadowskys, Carl Thompson or other basses of the same quality!
    But what I like at Jens is, that apart from his own very different designs which all are amazing you can really put your own bass together.
    You can have your own design, Jens exactly tells you about which kind of wood would exactly fit to the kind of music you're playing, you really are involved in every little part of the instrument and it's creation.

In the end you really have a great custom instrument.

12. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    man, these are the most interesting bases I've seen in years! Real beauties!

I still find the Warwick Thumb the most beautifull bass of all times (beauty in simplicity, but unique), but these come really close to it! Great designs with a lot of character!

Is there a way we can listen how they sound?

13. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    ... even the headstocks give me GAS!

Do you have some more pics?

14. well, I have two more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a pic of Mackerel not quite finished without the electronics and all, just the body plus neck, but it's not on a server, so I can't put it here.

15. I forgot the pics of the tremolo.

The pics were made with a bad camera, so the colour in the first 2 pics is not exactly what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all folks.

16. Can you guys explain me what you mean with

GAS?

17. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome

when you really lust for a certain bass, amplifier or whateverpiece of equipment, you are a victime of this disease...

18. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Thanks for the pics by the way!

Really amazing basses...

19. Thanks for explanation!
    I think I wouldn't have come to that explanation on my own!

So maybe if there are more oh these special words in use on this board, maybe you can list'em up for me?