My Rob Allen Arrived Today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stefeb, Sep 12, 2002.

1. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    I am speechless. It is more beautiful than I imagined, and sounds even better than it looks.

Specs: - mahogany body/koa top, birdseye maple neck, unlined striped ebony fretboard, matching bound head

Here's the Rob Allen with it's brother, the Fender:
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That RA makes the Jazz seem so cluttered, so busy, so...mechanical. Meanwhile the RA seems organic, simple, an beautiful.

Man I need an RA (with lines for my less than stellar intonation)
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Congrats. Koa always looks better than how it photographs.
  4. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    You have a good eye. Now that you mention it, I can see what you mean. The RA has a classic beauty to it. Interesting.

I've been playing it for a couple of hours, and love it more each minute. It is so easy to play. Has a flowing feel to it. Hard to describe, but great.:D
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Get the tuning keys (not the whole machines, just the key part that your hand actually turns) made out of an exotic wood, and have the tuners black...that'd be about as organic as I would want it. That would complete the flow. The chrome tuners kinda ruin the flow, IMHO.

Killer basses though. I've played one, and I've determined that they are a a fretless worth every penny. I'd get one if I had the funds, and didn't have a buncha basses ahead of it in the GAS line.
  6. that bass.
  7. :cool:A work of ART!! Bet it sounds just mwahvellous...

BTW - PLEASE don't take pictures of that gorgeous wood in front of a fireplace - gives me nightmares, and it might give the fireplace some nasty ideas.:eek:
  8. Beautiful!

I bet it sounds great!

9. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    It's a working fireplace. I haven't used it in three years, but I did notice it seem to perk up when it saw the bass.;)

Have no fear, not harm shall befall my beauty (I hope, I hope).
  10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

What a gorgeous bass!!!!

Congrats on your new baby ;)
  11. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    That looks exactly like mine. Great bass!
  12. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Another person with discerning taste ;)

I can't tell you how thrilled I am with this bass. It's everything I hoped for and more. The darn thing is just plain awesome.

Sorry for sounding like a proud parent, but I am :D
  13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    You should be proud! I'll never forget the looks on my bandmates when I toolk mine to practice the first time. I have some exotic basses, but the RA was the first one that had them all stop, walk over, and stare. Then when I played it, they freaked out, best sounding bass and so on. I said it would be great for the 60's stuff and they said it sounded good for everything we had done to that point, which covered about 3 decades. Great basses and SO back friendly!
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The only thing I would do would be have Rob make a thumbrest out of the same wood as the top, so that I might have a point to anchor my thumb. Other than that, I was blown away by the RA.
  15. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    I was thinking of getting the thumb rest. Rob sells them for $20, and they do match the top of the guitar.

At the moment I'm resting my thumb at the very bottom edge of the neck, just barely on the neck.

I'm a bit nervous about placing the thumb rest for fear of not having it in the exact, right place. I tend to be a bit anal about such things, and it would probably drive me crazy.:rolleyes:
  16. i would just get a fiver and use the B as a thumb rest most of the time. :)

dang, i really love RAs.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sweet bass. I've always liked Rob Allens... I'm just biding my time;)
  18. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    SWEET stefeb [​IMG]

[​IMG] Brendan sees the light! Can I get a Amen?

Beautifully said dude.
    :eek: Don' look at me! He..heck will freeze over before my
    R/A's see the inside of a pawn shop.

(of course that means I'll probably never get married again :p )