Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Roscoe SKB-6 is THE BOMB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Since I got this from a fellow TB'ER, I have hardley put it down, I am actually at work now at 05:00 in the a:m thinking about getting home to play new addition to my familey.
    I play this when I get up, before I go to bed, and all in between throughout the day. I actually had to NOT play for a whole day just to recover my hands! I have also tried something that I should have tried YEARS AGO, but it just did not make any sense at the time, it is...

1: if you have a active bass. turn your amp eq on your amp flat, if you have a passive bass, use your eq on your amp more.. this did not make sense to me because I figured if you had a amp with eq, why would you turn it down, whats the point in buying a amp with eq if you are going to run it flat? :eyebrow: well, too my surprise and tunnel vision, I learned a lesson, I learned what the bass REALLY sounded like :cool:

I turn my eq flat since my Roscoe is active, and did all my settings on the bass. I was impressed at the tone this Roscoe has and is capable of, its got a crisp very focused B string and tight mids, Growl, etc. ALL of the notes are focused on this BASS, no slop. I was surprised at the slap tone on this as well. This is a terrible thing, because now I am thinking of getting a 5 ver. I just wanted to Rant a bit, its nice to have a Bass that performs how you like. I have others, but this thread is about the ROSCOE. :bassist:

http://www.talkbass.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1878&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    That Roscoe just GASsed me silly! Love the fretboard!

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That thing looks incredible. Take care of her! :)

4. Aaaawww man, now my Roscoe-GAS will never cease.....drool

THANK YOU !!

:D

Jens

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's an awesome bass!

So i'm supposed to turn my Amp flat because I have an EQ on my bass? :eyebrow:

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Amazing! Congrats.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I would love to try a Roscoe some day. I have talked with Gard about the basses. The bodies always look stunning. For those that have one how are they for slapping? I asking because of the body contour just below the G or C string depending on what bass you have. I expect that it not a big deal.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Nah, I would not say that, but I did learn that after MANY years of going into stores etc, pulling a bass down and spending HOURS tweeking amps to see if I could get the right sound out of a bass, I should have just turned down the preamp controls on the amp and see if the bass had what I was looking for with out any external boosts etc other than basic volume, treb, and bass. This one certainly does.

feel me? ;)

9. I have a Roscoe LG-3005 that originally came with the Bartolini pre-amp. The slap tone was not quite as good as I liked so I had the Bart replaced with the Roscoe Demeter pre. The slap tone is now incredible. As far as the body contour goes, it is very comfortable for slapping with tons of room.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    What can & do you compare it to? What type of amp/cabs are you using? What style music do you play, funk/metal/jazz/rock etc...

~S~

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That looks great!

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats, you lucky son of a gun!!!! :cool:

Man, I want another Roscoe! :crying:

- Art

13. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France

+1 000 000 000 on everything you've said. My LG3005 has been here for one week and I'm amazed each time I grabe it. Great sound, great look, great feel !
    Congra on the SKB
    :)

Maconbass, my bass came with the 3 ways Bart pre amp and I'm very happy with my slap sound but didn't know at the time Iordered my bass that Dem pre was avalable.

What are the differences you noticed in tone and also which is your reference slap sound ?
    Some loves M. Miller sound, others will prefer a more Warwick kind of slap sound...

Shiveringbass, bassist for Shivering
    :)

14. I don't know how it plays, never tried one, but it looks very cool!

Vince

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd recommend against it unless you have funds, because if you try one, you WILL buy one. Trust me. :)

Roscoes are EXCELLENT for slapping. A lot of basses, you have to dial in a lot more low end when slapping, but the Roscoe has something going on where it's not as necessary. Very full but focused tone. Tons of mojo.

16. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    +1...as far as the Roscoe tone " it's Kind of got the "WHO'S YOUR DADDY" thing going on :cool:

17. If you own a Roscoe and slap, I HIGHLY recommend the Demeter preamp! It completely opens up the top end and gives you a presence in the mix that the Bart can't do -- the treble simply doesn't boost and cut as high as the Demeter. The Demeter just cuts!

On my Roscoe SKB, I turn the mids up slightly with the bass and treble FLAT (yes, FLAT!!) when I'm playing finger style. Then for slap I'll turn the mids FLAT, and boost the bass and treble just slightly. It's an unbelievable sound!! And IMO, the Bart can't touch it! :cool:

18. Man you guys need to start posting some mp3s, I wanna hear this :)

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm close to putting up some short clips of my Roscoe with a Demeter preamp. I just need to get a hold of a small mixer to go into my computer.

20. I'll try to early next week. I just don't have my bass around right now.