Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My router quit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassteban, Feb 14, 2005.

1. My big ol' 3 1/4 hp Porter-Cable. I have it mounted in a ghetto router-table, & it hasn't been turned on in probably over a year. I'm wondering if something got down into it & is causing a short. Anyone ever have this (or something similiar) happen? Or know of somewhere else to ask? Thanks.

2. Hey man, just call PC! their customer support staff is very helpful and knowledgable. I have one of their sanders that I thought wasn't working correctly, one call and the guy clarified everything!

3. Right on- I love companies w/good support.

4. Don't worry about the PC. We had 2 of those same motors we used in rotation for our CNC router table at an old job I had. We would use one until it gave us trouble - usually brushes but occasionally the switch - and then send it to the service center for a rebuild while we worked with the other one in the machine. They are totally rebuildable and it usually only cost us somewhere in the $80 range.

I would however make some sort of shield to cover the open grate on the end of the router. You're right, trash can fall in there and gum up the works. Our router was used upright in the CNC machine so we had less of a problem with that.