My SABDDI hs problems with my P-Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Trevorus, May 3, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have an EMG equipped Squier P-bass. And my SansAmp has a problem with it. They won't stop arguing.

But seriously, my SansAmp overdrives when I play my P-bass thru it. I can take the gain all the way down, and crank the level to compensate, but it still does it at every setting. When I turn it off, and still run it through it, and it doesn't overdrive. And obviously direct doesn't either. so what the fudge is going on?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    anyone got any ideas? My active Jazz doesn't overdrive it unl;ess I crank the gain. I did have a grounding problem earlier today, but I fixed that.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Sansamp needs a battery? Sansamp is bad? I dunno, just a couple of thoughts. I'm playing a Franken-P and a Spector NS-2000 thru mine right now, and I only get overdrive when I crank the "Drive" knob.

Also, you can call or e-mail Tech21 and they'll respond. E-mail can take a few days, but they've given me good answers to my questions.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    cool, thanks for the good tip!

I ran it with the adapter, but it still did it. I'll check with tech 21.
  5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    What did Tech 21 say? All I want is a warm P-bass sound. I'm starting to feel like a horse's ass for buying GK :( . I'm becoming very depressed about my playing. Every time I start to practice I spend literally an hour wrestling with the eq before I just give up. I've read every post about GK eq and tone shaping. I've got it as warm as it will go but it still sounds soulless. I've got the tone knobbed pegged all the way down on my P-bass. I'm thinking dark thoughts about selling all my equipment :scowl: .........

It seems like almost every concert I go to or album I hear with great bass tone it turns out to be Ampeg. WHY THE HELL DOES THEIR SHYTE COST SO MUCH??????! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buy an Ashdown dude. Warmass tone, without the huge! pricetag.
  7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am running EMG 40DC and 40J's at 18v on my SX, and 18v on my Carvin LB75P and it works great w my SABDDI. Can you get another bass to try? Or bring it to a music store to test it out?
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I corrected some wiring issues, and the thing works GREAT. Sounds absolutely amazing, now. Especially run thru the full stack.
  9. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Just curious, what kind of wiring issues?
    My SABDDI sometimes still has alittle fuzz right after I turn the gain all the way down. Kind of like it needs to bleed out the gain , and then it cleans up. ?
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not to get too far off-topic, buy I sincerely doubt that when you go to a concert you are hearing the bassists stage rig. You are hearing the bass through the main, most often through a DI . . . Most often with recording as well . . .
  11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Good point.....

*grudgingly gets up once again to search for the perfect tone*