1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My SABDDI overdrives..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steak'n'roll, Mar 24, 2006.

1. I know you guys are going to answer somethin' like : it's normal, you can use it as an overdrive... but wait 'till the end of this message.

I just got (2 weeks ago) a used SABDDI and I find it usefull and it sounds great. The problem is it overdrives easylly (is that the right way to write easy-lee??) even when the drive knob is at 6 o'clock. As soon as I am playing with a little dynamic, it overdrives. Is it normal? I never had a tube amp and I'm wondering if this is the way tube amps sounds??

So, is it normal or is it broken?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    What are your other settings? Are you running it direct or through your effects loop?

3. It is at the end of my effects just before my amp. I have 2 loopers so it is possible for me to run just in the sansamp and not in every other single pedal.

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Isn't 6 o'clock at maximum?

5. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    More like 5 o'clock was maximum on mine, 0 drive level would be around 7 o'clock.

Yes, these things are sensitive, especially the drive knob.

Use the blend to peel away some of the effect, turn down the drive, or turn down the gain.

All of these are going to effect the grind you get out of the SansAmp.

Edit: It's spelled "easily," since you asked.

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have found the drive dial to be quite sensitive. Turning down the gain to better match the settings on your amp will help.

7. In fact, it was a mistake, the knob is usually at 9 o'clock

Thanks dharma for the correct spelling of ''easily''

8. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It seems odd that you would be getting distortion with the drive set at 9:00 (pointing to the left.) I would be easier to diagose if we knew ALL of your settings. If level and presence are cranked up then they could be causing a problem. Here are my settings

Level:10:00
    Blend: 5:00 (turned up all the way)
    Treble: 11:00
    Bass: 12:30
    Drive: 1:00
    Presence:2:00

With these settings, I only distort when I "pop" a string.

9. At the end of your effects chain you could be getting a lot of boost from other devices, causing the easy overdrive scenario. This sort of thing can hapen with hot active basses as well. That comes with the territory when you have a 2-stage gain preamp and it is designed to go into overdrive mode. You are basically getting the gain before the Drive knob, instead of from the Drive knob (drive stage).

So check your levels and see if you are getting a lot of gain from any one pedal. If it is just your bass and the BDDI and you are having this problem then it could be that your bass output is really hot.

10. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed. My Jazz is quite hot for a passive, which is why my level is set at a low level. The instructions also warn of distortion if the gain of the SA is set higher than the gain of the amp......or something like that.......

11. First of all, make sure you're matching the volume of the effected and bypassed tones by comparing the two and tweaking the BDDI volume control. It could be that you are boosting the output of your bass with the BDDI to a point at which your amp is overloading.

Make sure it has a fresh battery or is plugged into a suitable power supply.

12. My guess is that you're overdriving the input of the SABDDI because your bass is too hot. Try turning the volume down on the bass and see if it cleans up. I had this problem with a P with Quarter Pounders. If I hit a note a little too hard the SABDDI farted, no matter where its knobs were set.

13. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yes yes yes.

14. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Or try dropping the pups some. Get some more space between the strings and pickups.

15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Completely unnecessary. Simply turn down the level on the BDDI to match the level on the amp.

16. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Perhaps- it depends wether the overdriven sound is coming from the sansamp or the amp.

What are the settings on your sansamp, steak?
    Does your bass have a hot signal?

17. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    If your battery is running low it will distort all the time, I found this out a couple of weeks ago, it sounded about the same whether the pedal was on or off.

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yup. Battery.

19. I found the solution a couple of days ago: It was the battery.

Exactly as in an active preamp, when the battery is getting old, it won't give you the same headroom and the same amount of gain.

New battery = no more problem!

Thank you guys for all of your inputs!

20. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    And that's why I run everything on wall-warts!