Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Sadowsky bass arrived today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, May 29, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This came in this morning-:) :)

Initial take:
    - Opened the case and...nothing; it's just a Jazz bass.
    - Picked it up, looked it over and...nothing; it's just a Jazz bass.
    - Put on some fresh strings, set the action, called Roger, and...wow; this is a darn good Jazz bass.

Construction:
    - Reverse pan control? No matter how you explain it, it's still backwards.
    - If I were to build a Jazz bass, this is what I would be aiming for. 99.9%

Sound:
    - Clean, fat, and smooth. Huge bottom! MY kind of sound.
    - Bass and treble controls at the right frequency
    - If I were to build a Jazz bass...100.1%

Final take:
    - If you want a Jazz bass and have the funds--this is it!
    - Doesn't replace anything I own, but emphasizes that "the standard" is all you need
    - Easily, without a doubt, the better reference.

[​IMG]

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    very nice! yeah that reverse blend thing screwed with my thick head for like minutes! i felt really stupid when i figured it out...

welcome to the sad club.

i had the same reaction when i got mine - but over time the love has grown and grown, especially after i've had it in the studio...

it's also our "reference" bass at http://basstasters.com

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I had a similar problem with my Brice bass, the pan seemed backwards. So, I rewired it to match all of my other basses. If you look at the pot that does the pan it has 6 wires (from what I remember), the 2 white ones in the middle that are 'stacked' so to speak are the 2 inputs, if you switch these the pan will work the way you are used to. Of course your's may differ, but it wasnt too difficult to follow the signal path and figure it out. I don't suggest doing this unless you are experienced with soldering though the work area is very tiny.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'll be honest.

my dream bass is a sadowsky PJ.

this one is supernice. enjoy!

5. Congrats! This is exactly my DREAM Sadowsky. With passive tone control?

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sweet!!!! Welcome to the club!!!!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am very happy for you enjoy it, which pick ups did you go with and is that alder

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Glad to see you will finally get to experience a SAD. If I were to do a jazz, I'd do it like a SAD too..however...

I detect a "Well, I've got it, now on to something with more intrigue. ;)

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Actually, it's more like a reality check; I don't need all those fancy woods to get the feel and sound that I like.

BUT I LIKE FANCY WOOD! Glad I still have a Ken Smith!

I'm not looking, but if the right single-cut comes my way. ;)

10. Welcome to the club! That is a great loking bass. I remember having a similar reaction when I got my first one. It's become the only bass I've ever owned that I didn't soon want to "upgrade". The more I play it, the more I appreciate it.

Guys - think we should let him in on the secret handshake yet??

;)

Congrats!
    Jeff

11. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    JR, that is way noce looking. How does the Sadowsky compare to every other suped up jazz you've owned (Modulus, Lull) How big is the difference? enough to justify the extra money? Also, can you PM me with the price that you paid, I am seriously thinking abuot doing this myself...I just don't get it...it looks so unassuming...Marc

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    As far as Jazz basses go, there's nothing to upgrade to.

Do I need a rubber glove?

- Rule #1. You've got to like Jazz basses to appreciate a Jazz bass done right.
    - Edges out the Lull Jazz. The necks are almost identical.
    - The Modulus VJ is no match. But if you want a graphite neck, the Sadowsky is no match.
    - Is it worth the extra money? See rule #1.

13. Okay, who told??!!

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Very nice bass, James...

15. VERY Sweet JR....makes me wish mine was ready...I still have about 5 months left to wait.....(heavy Sigh)...I am sure the wait will be worth it...

Congratulations!!

tommixx

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The "fix" for this is so painless you might actually accept the explanation.

I ran into the same thing with my Zon Legacy. I'd heard people actually rewired the pot to "fix" it. The only "problem" is where the indicator is pointing. The knob in essence is upside down. Try this and let me know if it works:

Remove the panpot knob.
    Set the panpot to dead center.
    Put the knob back on, this time with the indicator line pointing away from you, straight down.
    Now, when you turn the knob towards the bridge, you'll be panning to the bridge pickup. The reverse should give you the neck pickup.

How's that? Of course you could always rewire it if you want to;). This should probably go in an FAQ.

Still think it's backwards?;)

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    James, it occurs to me that your avatar is yet to announce the arrival of the Sad. Which bass is getting the heave ho ?:D

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I mailed the Smith CRV4 off yesterday.
    Yes. I almost never look at the knobs when adjusting. If it bothers me enough, I'll rewire the pups.

19. To echo the some of the crowd, welcome to the family.

Every time we rehearse or play I just fall more and more in love with my Sadowsky basses.:D