Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Sadowsky Metro Impulse Purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peabody, Dec 11, 2004.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I've been trying for a while to sell my '75 Jazz so I could pick up a Sadowsky. I had one guy ask me why I wanted the Sadowsky over the Fender. I didn't have a real good answer other than I was ready to try something new and I've read a ton of very positive things about Sadowsky. And when you do a search on Sadowsky and you see Roger himself is answering many of the questions....very cool.

Anyway, I had this all worked up in my head that when I sold the Jazz, I'd do a lot of research, check the boards of Sads for sale, keep my eye open on eBay, etc. I wanted to make sure I put a lot of thought and effort into the process. I wanted to savor the experience of finally being able to purchase a new bass. Well, the Jazz sold and my thoughtful process lasted about 10 minutes.

I went to the Sadowsky website to see what they had in stock. I checked once and didn't see any Metro RV4's or MV4's (my basses of choice) and happened to check an hour later and a couple must have just hit....including a '59 burst RV4 with the VTC. My finger was poised over the enter key to buy it and I decided, while it was a beautiful bass, I already have a sunburst '76 P-bass, so I wanted something different. The search continued. I went to the dealer listing and started going down the list and checking their websites to see what the dealers had in their inventory. I came across a few naturals, some more bursts, some oly whites, and then I found it...a beautiful Transparent White MV4. It's not a finish I have seen a lot of and I knew that my thoughful process had just gone to hell...I bought it immediately and I anxiously await it's arrival.

I've attached a couple of pics. I'm anticipating the wood grain will be much more visible than the pics show. Merry Christmas to me......

2. very nice... that is a awesome color combo. I've always thought the white with tortoise shell body looked very classy. and maple is my favorite fingerbaord. ya did good!

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Awesome peabody. I came so very close to buying that exact bass. I looked all over the place for that color combination and found 2 places that had it. Yours, and the Bass Emporium. I ended up going with the other (lucky for you, huh ;) ) You'll absolutely love that bass. Pictures do not do it justice whatsoever. It looks like a creamy vanilla latte... almost good enough to eat. I've really never owned a bass that's as easy to play as this one.
    Congratulation on your purchase. Be sure to let us know what you think when you get it. Here's a pic of mine from the Emporium's web site. I've got some better pics of mine but am computer illiterate and don't know how to shrink 'em to fit within' the space allowed here... if anyone knows and is willing to help me, PM me and i'd really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

4. heh, that was the bass with the nickname "whitey" right?
    congrats, beautiful bass

5. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Actually I was thinking of calling it "Bob." B.B.'s got Lucille, Eric's got Blackie, so I'm thinking Bob. Simple, yet mind provoking. Bob it is. Thanks for all the compliments guys. I can't wait to meet Bob in person. I'll give you a follow up when it comes. Over and out....

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Congrats. You'll love it. I'm on my 2nd Metro and 12th Sadowsky overall. Have loved everyone of them. Metro's rule!!

Rob

7. Bob works. :)
    I think I know who you bought it from...did business with them once, and they're great folks. They'll even send you catalogs for a year, in case any other impulses come up. ;)

8. Nice buy! I just got my MV4 a few weeks back. I've got the 59' burst and it's very nice. I'm experimenting with strings right now so she hasn't been out of my practice room yet since I usually grab my NYC PJ with the Sad flats. My MV4 came with requested Sad Nickels which are nice but I'm finding them too bright so far and just put some TI Jazz Flats on yesterday. Calmed the brightness way down but they are pretty different feeling strings. I'll have to switch back and fourth and see. I've also got some other strings to try. Have fun with the new bass.

BTW my Lakland Joe is Oly white with a stunning East Indian Rosewood board and tort guard. Very nice.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Excellent Choice, Sadowsky is the only Solid Body bass i will buy now.I hope to get another one in the Future.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I can certainly understand. Beautiful!

FWIW I'm trying very hard not to buy one of these on impulse:
    [​IMG]

11. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Nice bass! I currently love my Metro RV5 with a transparent white/ tort pickguard. I like to think of the color as white milk with just a tad of chocolate syrup in it. You'll really like it, makes for a classy looking bass that screams "OLD SCHOOL". Have fun with it.

Kev

12. Beautiful bass, Peabody! Great color combo.
    There is a store with an entire wall full of Sadowsky Metros about 15 minutes from my house and I am trying so hard not to go there.

13. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    There were a few tense moments when I checked the tracking number for my delivery and the UPS website said my package had been delivered and signed for by someone named Casey. Well, I have all my purchases sent to me at work and the bass wasn't here and we don't have anyone by the name of Casey working for us.... I have to thank Dave at Indoor Storm where I bought the bass. He got on the horn to UPS immediately and we were able to track it down (it was delivered to a different address). Thanks for the help Dave. Some establishments would have said, "we shipped it..it's your responsibility...work it out with UPS."

The bass is awesome. It plays and sounds great. I can't put it down. The only surprise I had was I thought the transparent white would be a little more transparent. Not a complaint mind you, just an observation. Since I had a couple of requests to post pictures of the bass when it arrived, far be it from me to say no...