Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my sadowsky nickels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderx55, Oct 10, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I just broke my d string. However, it occured as i was about to say, "you know, these strings lasted a while and they sound just as good as they did once they settled in." ::slap the e pop the d, neck looses tension:: "***?" :bawl: i'm gonna have to replace it with a random d till i have some spare cash. regardless, i love these strings. this could be the most dubius good review ever.

2. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I ordered 5 sets of Sadowsky stainless steels at the same time as I ordered my Sadowsky bass. They are very excellent soundwise, and the touch is good, but they die very quickly in my use. Not good. About 3-4 weeks of active playing, and they are dead. I have two more sets to go, then I will get something else. It's a pity, Sadowsky strings were affordable.

Btw, who makes Sadowsky strings? D'addario?

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    R. Cocco makes them.

I think the stainless strings are great, but I didn't like the nickels, fenderx55@yahoo ... I'll sell you a lightly used set of regular guauge sadowsky nickels for $10. Send me a PM if you want them.

4. I'm having very good luck with DR Hi Beams on my Sadowsky... plenty of sizzle... a little smoother feeling than other stainless steel strings, and at least in my situation, they last a long time. Of course, the extreme brightness comes off them pretty quickly like any SS roundwound, but they seem to hold that 'after one gig' sound for a good long time.

5. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    NC
    I had a similar experience with the Sado nickel rounds. A month or so of very moderate, non-abusive, mostly fingerstyle playing, and "boink!" The D string broke. I haven't broken a bass string for over 25 years.

It was at the start of a rehearsal, and I just played the rest of the evening without the D string. For some reason, it was really fun - we were going over some very familiar material (breaking in a new band member or two), and this made me THINK instead of just going thru the motions. And it impressed the hell out of my bandmates!

Bob