Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Salas Custom 4 :(

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by DarkMazda, Feb 2, 2004.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    You all know it, you all heard it, you all saw it, and now you will see it on sale :( Yes.. I'm parting ways with my Salas Custom IV, built by Tim Salas himself. There is no serial # for this bass as Tim did NOT put one. This is the Legacy body model that I wanted and he gave me. Comes with a HSC. I'm gonna let this go for $550 Incl Shipping. Here are the specs

Alder body
    Quilt Maple Top
    One piece Maple Neck
    Ebony board
    Seymour Duncan Basslines STC3A Preamp (3band) (Volume, Volume, Mid, Treble/Bass Stacked)
    Seymour Duncan ASB5 Pickups
    Hipshot tuners
    Hipshot Bridge, forgot the models

There are definitely some play wear on this bass (and missing a knob, which is very cheap to replace), as I have been practicing to be a "semi-okay" bassist. :p Its a great indeed, but the only thing is that, I have a Zon Legacy V on the way, which gives me 2 Zon Legacies to play around with. I don't think that I will be playing the Salas as much as the Zons. I would definitely want someone to have the bass. I'll post pix

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    [​IMG]

3. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    interested in any trades?

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    What's the neck like? (width at nut? what's the back like? can you compare it to anything?) And do you know the string spacing at the bridge?

Also could you describe the sound, perhaps?

Thanks
    Leanne

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    No trades. Strictly $, since I have ordered a new Zon from someone ;). I need the $ actually

Whats the neck like? Its very smooth, natural finish on the maple neck. Compare it to something? Close to a Musicman Sterling in my opinion. The string spacing is a 19mm like all 4 strings. The back has a cavity plate, where the batteries/preamps are installed. THe width at nut was approx like a P-Bass. Which is around 1 3/4" IIRC.

The Sound is really aggressive. You can definitely get a P/J sound out of it. I used it to record our band's songs. If I can get one up some how.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
  7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    *bump*

I hope people listened to the song so they can get the sound of the recording. That recording wasn't mastered so it will sound like crap. Mine was direct to the board, so no added on sounds (ex: warm sound from amp etc.)

8. Seems like you should get alot more for it than what your asking. Probably worth way more. Thats the problem w/customs and unknowns.
    BTW.... bass sounds great, so does your band!!
    Good luck,
    Hawk :bassist:

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I would think so as well.. Salas basses do cost over in the $1500 area these days. But maybe customs can't so much (especially if the person is unheard). Since people will be afraid of buying it. I was thinking of asking $650ish, but hey, what can u do.

10. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    E-mailed you...........

Your PM folder is full!

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    One more question... Where's the top strap button?

Thanks
    Leanne

12. cameronb000

cameronb000

Jun 18, 2003
    Space City
    HI,
    I have sent emails for the Salas with no reply. Please email me at cameronb000@hotmail.com that's 3 zeros in the addy.
    Thanks

13. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

I have sent 2 e-mails........1 PM(folder full)........
    with no response.............I guess he doesn't want to sell it all that bad!

14. cameronb000

cameronb000

Jun 18, 2003
    Space City
  15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I'm sorry guys, I have been at work 11-8 and went to a Notwist show tonight at Bowery Ballroom. I just came home.. Lemme chekc the e-mails

D

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    SOLD