1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Sans Amp VT Bass Review.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lovenotfear, Mar 12, 2009.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I got mine yesterday, and I gigged with it about 2 hours after getting it, I plugged it in this order: USA G&L L2500 into the VT Bass, then to my SWR Working Pro 700 watt head with the Goliath 3 cab.

This thing is impressive, it is as versatile as they say, does it color your sound?, definitely yes, But I love it, It really did make my SWR amp sound live an ampeg svt, I plugged it in at rehearsal before the gig, right away the guitar player turned around and said what happened to you tone, i said what do you mean, he said it sounds huge, i told him about the pedal, he said he thought it sounded like an ampeg.

This pedal does not get hi-fi sounds (this could be good or bad depending on what you like) but it is in your face, and the low end from this pedal is huge, but the high end can be a bit harsh (have some clank) but you can eq it to be mellower and the clank goes away, and let me tell you the eq is so sensitive, a little goes a long way, the pedal will get you that tube grit and or fuzz similar to the big muff, or a sound close to the bass player of tool and or rage against the machine, or a motown type sound like the bassline on the song "I'll be there", and even a heavy distortion sound (it can most definitely be used as a distortion pedal) and it sounds good at it to, It sounds like an expensive distortion pedal when set in the mode for distortion (if you turn up the character and the drive knob to max) it sounds heavy like death metal.

The Pedal screams quality, it is built very well, this is probably the most versatile and realistic sounding pedal I have ever owned, the only down side is that just like a real amp, it can feed back, but if you know how to use it, it wont, but in a way that is a good thing, it acts like a real amp, and that is what i like about it.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
  3. I'm interested to know if you found the sound to be boomy and muddy? Because usually if the low end is huge, in a band setting, it's high chance the sound gets muddy and boomy.

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I like this pedal so much I want to use it as my main preamp. I would like to run it like a normal SANSAMP BDDI though. Could I run this into a Passive Radial JDI direct box and send the colored tone to the board and my power amp at the same time?

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Yeah (I have a VT & JDI), but if you've got the volume cranked on the VT you might need to engage the pad on the JDI to stop overloading the inputs at the desk.

6. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Are you using it live like that at this point? If so, how is it working?

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Not at this point as I quit my band a while ago, but I used it a couple of times live. Worked very well, it was nice to get a beefy tone through the PA for a change!

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I run it straight into my amps input jack, so the clip light tells me where I'm at....

9. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i wouldn't say it is boomy, i could see where it could be, but a few turns of the eq knobs and it sounds clear, i would say it has allot of high end, and low end, to combat that, you turn up the mid knob and turn the low knob down and the high knob down a little, it really can get any vintage ampeg tone you want, you just have to work with its eq, and your amps eq.

10. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    ya i want to do that as soon as i get a chance, hopefully soon.

11. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    does ANYONE have any sound clips?
    I can't find any... :/

12. Go check out the video review at www.bassplayer.tv. I think you select Basses and Gear, then Gear Preview, and then find the VT Bass.

13. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I have a different opinion on this subject. VT is a great pedal for all those full, tube sounds. It's also excellent as an overdrive, but when it comes to fuzz or distortion - it's horrible. When you crank those knobs too much you loose all the bottom and only harsh high end remains. I understand that somebody still may like it, but saying that it sounds like an expensive distortion is an overstatement.

14. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    This is true if you use the suggested distorted settings in the manual with the character knob set between one to five o'clock.

But if you crank up the gain and keep the character knob down between seven to twelve o'clock approximately, you'll get a great tubey overdrive/distortion with no harsh high mids or highs. Then, you can still use the EQ to suit your bass/palying style/taste.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  16. Lisaw

Lisaw

Mar 13, 2009
    The Pedal screams quality, it is built very well, this is probably the most versatile and realistic sounding pedal I have ever owned, the only down side is that just like a real amp, it can feed back, but if you know how to use it, it wont, but in a way that is a good thing, it acts like a real amp, and that is what i like about it.

Lisaw
    Workout Programs

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I think there was just a glitch in the Matrix...

18. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

exactly, i agree 100%, that is what i did, and dont forget you can also adjust things on your amp side as well, but for me it does a great fuzz, you just need to work with it, dont just put it on the settings in the manuel, but experiment, and you will find many more things it can do.