My Sansamp GED 2112 Video Essay and Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fletz, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I know there is a great video from Sansamp with Geddy demoing his GED 2112 Pre-Amp, but I thought I'd do my own review and essay as a mortal bassist ... Here it is. Check it out and if you are looking at this piece of equipment, I hope it helps you out:

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Nice video. :thumbsup: I really feel like I have an idea of what the GED 2112 sounds like. I also agree that with the blend @ 100% it’s a little too fizzy.

Fletz likes this.
  3. xposaune

xposaune Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Thanks for posting this. Very tempted to get one of these. I'm new to going beyond a simple mono/combo amp set-up so seeing it in that compact 2 channel set-up is helpful too.

4. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Happy to help. If you have more questions let me know!

5. xposaune

Sep 3, 2015
    I guess a couple - is the deep channel suited to that 2x10? Sounded great in the video but I know a lot is lost in recording.

6. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I just added a 115 to my rig and run the deep through there. I’m not gonna lie, it’s a littl boomy. The 2 210s sound very good

xposaune likes this.
  7. Nice, very similar to my own rig. I will add that adding a slight grit, and/or even just an active onboard preamp before the GED really livens it up. GED 2112 is an awesome piece of gear.

8. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Are you saying like a sansamp pedal?

9. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    A lot more versatile than I thought it would be.
    Cool review.

10. Yeah, more specifically I use an EHX Bass Soul Food (very light tube overdrive) and a Source Audio Aftershock (as a mid heavy EQ setting) before the GED 2112. The combination brings it to the next level. Experimenting with effects is expensive tho :/ haha

Fletz likes this.
  11. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I was actually considering adding an rbi to the rack ...

12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Got an RBI > dbx 166xL > QSC 2402 > any cabinets you want to connect
    setup now that is mainly used if BOSE craters or we have a big stage FOH gig with no backline. The RBI rack is used "clean on the edge of dirt" with a Line 6 Helix in front of it.

Looking at this for another small rack since I have another QSC2402 and multiband compressor here(stereo so it can run the 2 channels BUT work the levels together for speaker protection) AND this new SansAmp is REALLY nice from all I've heard and seen.

13. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Could I run an RBI to the GED?

14. Absolutely you can. Before the GED, after the GED, in the effects loop. So many options.

15. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Dammit. Now I have to get one.

CNYlowEND likes this.
  16. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Great video! Sounds really good..

Fletz likes this.
  17. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I just ordered an MXR M80 to add to the mix... thank you very much ;)

CNYlowEND and BrentSimons like this.
  18. Very Nice! I actually jump between using the EHX Bass Soul Food and MXR M80 before my GED depending on my mood. The soul food is more subtle. But I love the M80's "color" button, and if you boost the mids and turn on the distortion circuit it can get quite nasty.... in a great way! Good choice.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  19. xposaune

Sep 3, 2015
    Another question if you don't mind - i've noticed a decent 60hz hum on my GED-2112 going into a GK combo amp. (I've got the gain -20db set but maybe it's still too hot?) I think I can hear some hum on your video - is that true or was it just the video? I am going to try running through a plain power amp to some cabs. I also am going to try an EBTech hum eliminator. Was curious if you have noticed this.

20. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    There is a ground lift on the GED-2112 but it's for the XLR outputs. An Iso transformer as suggested should do the trick.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2022