Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My scary hospitalization story...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by miko, Sep 11, 2003.

1. holy shnikes!

not that any of you care, but i almost died night before last...

i was ringing up sales at my goofy retail job when all of a sudden i got this funky itch on my arm. i looked down and saw four tiny hives on my forearm. i scratched them a little and kept working.

two minutes later i get more itching. i look down and more bumps are developing.

a minute layer i'm itching intensely all over, so i split to the bathroom and my legs start to itch.

next thing you know, i'm swelling up all over. i am something of a highly allergic individual, so when i started sweating profusely, which has never happened, i thought it best to get to the hospital.

i jumped in a cab and ran into the emergency room. by this time my face was so swollen i was unrecognizable. i looked like i'd gone 13 rounds with mike tyson. they rushed me into the resuscitation room, where i changed into a robe. when i looked at my body, i almost passed out. i was covered head-to-toe in silver-dollar sized red welts and my entire body was inflamed. so much blood rushed to the surface that when i scratched, i bled instantly. i was sweating like a pig and somewhat delerious.

all of a sudden my throat started swelling and i felt really sick. by this time, they'd already pumped me up with two IVs of prednisone, 6 doses of benadryl, 2 epinephrine shots and some other fluids. my blood pressure was out the roof, and when i saw one of the nurses reach for the defrib paddles, i knew i was in deep poop. all i kept thinking was that i'd never get to marry my boyfriend of 8 years or say goodbye.

that's when i passed out.

woke up two hours later in a pool of sweat, but in a much improved state. a lot of the swelling had subsided, though my eyes were still sealed shut. two hours after that, i was way more myself.

initially, the doc thought i had a reaction to the pesticides in a mickey d's salad, but after much discussion, we learned that massive hive breakouts can occur when you have a long-lasting cold, which i did. i've had a lingering cough/cold bronchial thing for about 5 weeks. apparently, my body made one last-ditch effort to rid itself of the invading virus, and the hives are a symptom of that. or so they suspect.

man, you want to talk about becoming religious fast. i was begging the big man to keep me going. i usually can breathe my way through a bad reaction, but this was so out of my control. once my throat swelled, i knew i was in trouble.

anyhow, i'm pretty ok now; still a little weak and the eyes are puffy, but i'm alive and should remain that way at least till our next gig. :p now i have to carry around one of those epi-pens all the time, in case it happens again.

sorry to bore you with the details, but that had to be one of the most frightening moments of my life. it was so out of my control.

anybody else an allergic freak like me?

:meh: meeks

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sorry to hear about that

:(

my little lady always accuses me of being allergic to household duties.....:D

sounds like i have it much better then you!

3. holy crap! glad to hear you're a-ok, mikooo!

my mum says the samething, NJL!! ;)

lets hgope that doesnt happen again! take care :)

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    :eek: That must've been a scary experience glad you're better again :)

Reminds me how lucky I am - no allergies.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, and when I come down there, you're screwed.

I'm gonna tell her about how I make dinner for my sweetie every night, and sometimes even do the dishes too, if I'm feeling well disposed. And how I fix her car, her vacuum cleaner, did her filing, took out the trash, and did the grocery shopping. Glued her broken mug, walked the dog, and picked up the paper for her. All for for the pleasure of kissing and caressing her gorgeous booty.

Have a nice life! Don't let her read this post!

=========
    Miko, get another opinion. Preferably from an allergist. The salad is probably the winner, they load that shoot with sulfites and god knows what else. How else would it keep from getting brown, ever?

Or the honey/mustard dressing or the nuts... some people are very highly allergic to honey, beeswax etc.

Of course, you might be allergic to that goofy retail job.

Coming close to the edge is a good tuneup for a sense of your own mortality. You're a lot better off knowing you are not indestructible, you take better care of yourself.

Thor

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Wow, nice to know that you´re fine now.

My brother use to be very allergic when he was a child. I remember once that he was stinged by a little bee in a hand, and in just 10 minutes he had that hand like a Basket ball and he couldn´t breath normally, very frightening.:eek:

7. +1 :)

8. Glad to hear that you're ok. I know what it's like to not be able to get air into your system... PANIC!!!! Stay well.

X

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My Dad had two similar, but smaller ... dont know what to call that - hypersensitivity inflammatory attack? so the thing like that but he went (was taken) to hospital earlier and had some injections early on, which helped (something). My Dads throat was so swollen that he could barely breathe - the doctors wanted to cut open his throat (dont know what they call that either, sorry...) - but luckily those injections worked

Glad to hear you are getting better!

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I will be back!!!!

:spit:

NJL 1
    Whore 2

:D

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SO sorry to hear that. Hospitals scare me.

12. As they say, "There are no atheists in foxholes." ;)

Wow, that was a Scary Mary time, Meeks. I'm glad you're o.k. now.

You have to tell me when your next gig is, mkay?

Stay well.

Mike

P.S. I almost forgot - weren't you supposed to marry me? :p :D

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Wow, that was a close call. Glad you are doing ok now. Sounds like Urticaria/Angioedema. The acute phases of both are essentially anaphylaxis limited to the skin and subcutaneous tissues and can be due to drug allergy, insect stings and certain foods. Some food rections occur explosively following ingestion of only minute amounts, others may occur only after overindulgence, and possibly result from direct mediator liberation. Urticaria may accompany or even be the first symptom of a sever viral infection, including hepatitis, mono and rebella. Some reactions are unexplained, even when recurrent.

In urticaria generally wheals appear thatare small and may get bigger. The larger ones tend to beclear in the center with rings of erythema and edema. Angioedema is a more diffuse swelling of loose subcutaneous tissue (back of hands or feet, eye lids, legs, arms etc). Edema of the upper airway (as in your case) may produce respiratory distress which may be mistaken for asthma.

Its hard to pin down the etiology (cause) of what happened to you, either diagnosis would be reasonable in this case. Threason for the defib was just to do a quick look, the paddles (which if they still use those they need to graduate into the 90's) gives you a peek into the heartrate and rhythm. With all the epi on board it is not unusual to have tachycardia. You should have been on a monitor anyway. Had you actually needed defibrillation, you would have been intubated (a breathing tube in the throat) and placed in the ICU.

Hope that gives you a better picture.

Mike

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Because it's kept refridgerated, in air-sealed bags and it's thrown out if it hasn't been used after 3 days?

Anyway, I went to get my tonsils out and my throat hemorrhaged, causing me to vomit more than 3 litres of blood. You still win, easily, but that's my hospital story.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    WOW just WOW!!!!

I'm glad you made it through

16. I'm happy you are still with us. Hope your boyfriend pops the question :)

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yup, yup, I once learned I was allergic to Aspirin after I popped 1000mg's of the stuff for back ache. I had popped Aspirin before but apparently it took a larger dose..

The result was a massive skin reaction, I was covered from chin to toe in huge itchy swollen patches of skin - I couldn't even make a fist properly. The doc at the hospital just said "Interesting.. Mind if I take some pics?" :eek:

Luckily my throat didn't swell up much so it wasn't that dangerous, but I stayed at home for a week after that.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I am once again reminded of how happy I should be for staying healthy. And I am. Just as I am happy that you're still alive! :)

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :eek: Miko that's a terrible thing to to through. We're all glad you're OK. You rest up and get better soon OK!

The scary part is that it came out of no-where. And who hasn't had a persistent cold or cough before? We all have.

Oh and whatever it was that Dr. Moike said, I'm sure it was all correct.

20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow, thats horrible. Sorry it had to happen to you!

I got a rash once from a dip in some mineral springs, if that makes you feel any better.;)