1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Schecter For A Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Not sure if this belongs here or not, but here goes....

Been trying to sell my Schecter Diamond-P 4 string to fund the purchase of a Hofner Beatle Bass copy (violin bass). My Schecter is in good overall shape, couple little dings, but nothing major and functionally 100%.

Did get an offer through CL to trade for a Squier Jazz fretless that is two days old (well, he bought it two days ago) and the guy just doesn't seem to like it. Or my bass plus a little cash for a Spector Rebop 4.

I'm kinda interested in a fretless, but I've never played one....

In my estimation the Schecter and the Squier are probably of similar value, realistically.

Having never played a fretless, what are the "nuances" to it? I assume the biggest challenge is just knowing your positions (as you have no frets for guides and no inlays).......

Please help out a dummy with this....if you switched to a fretless how difficult was it to get used to and overall did you like it versus the fretted bass? What are the advantages to fretless basses?

Thanks a bunch!

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    The instant the Squier left the store it went from being a $300 new bass to a $200 used bass. I ran across a lot of them in my recent low-end used shopping and even in mint condition they were always $200. It may be unplayed and new, but the warranty and store support that go with that are gone.

If you considered that against the value of your Schecter, carry on.

I can't comment on playing a fretless, it has never appealed to me, but since I had run into so many used Squier fretless jazzers I thought I could at least get the answers rolling.

3. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Why would you trade for a Squier fretless if the bass you're trying to sell it to fund is completely different?

4. I hadn't really thought about going with a fretless before, but suddenly it intrigued me when it was offered. Don't play the Schecter except maybe once or twice a month.

Adult ADD, honestly that's why. No logical reason.

5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Well, sounds like a low-risk way to try your hand at fretless playing, so why not? But, as FourBanger pointed out, it's not a very good trade on your end. I'd offer him your Schecter in exchange for his J plus $100.

6. He did mention he could include a little $$$ with his if it made it work for me. Or if I wanted the Spector it would be my bass and cash the other way.

Thanks for the response, it's kinda what I was thinking.....take a bass that hasn't been more than a backup for 6 months and try out a fretless on the cheap.

7. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Fretless playing can be addictive or frustrating. If you're looking to play it live, consider how important good monitoring will be to your intonation and technique, because you can't just glance at the neck and know precisely where you are. Unless you're clever like Juan Alderete and have the lines painted onto your fretless. If you DO go the lines root, I'd suggest trying them on the side of the neck, so as to not ruin the look of the fretless.

I too, am interested in a fretless, so I share your adult ADD when I see them sometimes. ;)