1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Schecter Stiletto Electronic Swap Adventure

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 25, 2016.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all,

So I have a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 coming my way here in about a week. I've always liked the Stiletto line and I found one for a deal I couldn't pass up. Since I got it for such a killer deal, I figured that I could easily justify some upgrades. Unlike many posters here, I actually don't mind the passive EMGs that come in Schecters, but I wanted to just do an upgrade on the bass so it would easily hang with some of the other higher-end basses I have sitting around. I find the construction on the Stilettos top notch and easily on par with basses much more expensive.

First, I snagged a Korean Hazlab pre. I dig the Haz in my Spector, so I figured "why not?" It currently has pots for passive pickups and the diamond pot layout should work with the four knob, diamond knob layout of the Schecter.

Next, my plan is to order some Norstrand Big Singles to swap out. I have a friend who has these in his Ibanez Presige, and I love 'em. From what I understand, I'll need the size that is comparable to EMG40s and I think the string spacing is 16.5mm, but I'll need to check.

Anyways, I keep everyone who is interested in apprised in how it turns out.

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Best bass gear carries the Big Singles in EMG 40 size at 16.5 mm spacing, so you're good to go. The Big Blades work with any string spacing and also come in EMG40.

Sounds fun! Sprucing up a solid, comfortable player is what I love to do. Keep us appraised.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  3. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Awesome post. I am looking to do something just like this. My Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 plays great but could benefit from better electronics. For the preamp, I am leaning towards the Darkglass Tone Capsule, because it is 3-band and my Stiletto has 3 tone knobs. Also because I have a Spector Forte 4 w/ the Tone Capsule and it is light years beyond dope. What I am really trying to figure out is the pups. What attracts you to the Nordstrand Big Singles? What sound are you going for, what style do you play?

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the tip. I'm checking those out too, now. I've never actually tried the Big Blades, but it sounds like those may be up my alley as well. Might be a few dollars cheaper too. Hmmm.

I'm currently playing in a modern country project, but I really don't limit myself to any style. I'm attracted to the Nordies because I find that they can be fairly aggressive but also very articulate and have a lot of upper mid and high response without sounding harsh or honky.

5. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I've got them in my bass now, and I love them. For once, I'm wanting to turn the treble down by default on my bass. They certainly are "aggressive" and "articulate" to use your phrases. They've got a great detailed midrange and a lot of high bite (as I just mentioned). A bit of treble cut and they calm down a touch while still having that midrange I dig.

I say all this having never tried a pair of Big Singles though... so understand that. My previous Nordstrand experience was with their Jazz splits, which I loved.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Update for those interested: Got the bass and the pre. Unfortunately, the K Haz is just slightly too large for the control cavity. Dagnaybit! I'm not gonna route the bass and I didn't pay a whole lot for the pre. I'm considering putting an Aggie OBP-2 in instead.

Ellery likes this.
  7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Alright, update, the Nordies arrived yesterday. I have an Aggie OBP-2 to put in. I'll let you know what I think once the install is done.

Ellery likes this.
  8. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Dying to know how the OBP2 works out, I got a Stiletto w/ 3 eq knobs and I'm considering an OBP3

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This cat has an Aggie and Norstrands in his Riot. It's obviously dialed in to be quite a bit aggressive (I love it for rock, but probably wouldn't be the appropriate tone in other styles of music).

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Update: Got the Norstrands and Aguilar preamp in the Stilletto last week. Damn! It sounds awesome. I used it for a rehearsal last Sunday and it sounded incredible. Plenty of thick but tight bottom-end and a nice aggressive top-end without sounding harsh. Mids are very precise as well. If you want to take your Schecter to the next level, I highly recommend this mod.

Ellery and 4StringTheorist like this.
  11. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I put a set of Delano's and an east U.K. Pre in my 5 string elite. Did wonders!

I eventually swapped out the stock bridge saddles for babicz solo rails and also put hip shot light weight tuners on it as well.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  12. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I just got the pickups I ordered for my Stiletto Studio 5 in the mail! :hyper: A pair of EMG 40P5's. I decided not to go with a DC or a J at the bridge, I think two P's will be fat and heavy. With the stock EMG-HZ's I only ran the neck pickup anyway. I would have already installed them but EMG's volume pot shaft does not fit the knob. Anyway that is step one, perhaps in the future I will put a preamp. Don't mind investing, IMHO the feel and playability make this bass comparable to some boutique instruments.:bassist:

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I actually have some 40P5s in a Schecter California Custom, which is a Jazz Bass shaped bass that Schecter used to make that came stock with active EMGs rather than passive HZs. I'm thinking about trying some DCX or CSX pickups in it.

Ellery likes this.
  14. Ausbass1970

Ausbass1970

Jul 25, 2018
    I know this is a bit late but my Schecter diamond studio 4 is f*@+:?g awful and embarrassing to play.
    The stock EMGs were abysmal. Trying to get any usable tone out of it was impossible.
    So out they went.
    In went some SSB4's. Sounded a bit better, from abysmal to crap.
    So, out went the active preamp.
    In went passive Vol/Vol/Tone.
    Now its gone from abysmal to crap to peas porridge 9 days old.
    What next can I waste my money on in the relentless chase to get tone out of this expensive waste of equipment?
    Perhaps a chainsaw might come in handy.
    I don't know, maybe its just me but I can not justify spending another cent on this bass, regardless of how sexy it looks.

Think I'll keep it to bash home intruders to death with.