1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my schroeder sounds really compressed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Hello all,
    I just got a new schroeder 21012 and i got to play it loud for the first time yesterday at practice--anyways, it sounded super compressed--I am using the same amp and effects and bass as I always used, just the cab is different and it really sounds compressed. What might be going on there?

Charlie

2. You may be pushing the cab to it's limits. What head are you using? How much power is going into your cab?

3. I am using a markbass LMII.
    500 watts @ 4 ohms

the schroeder is 1200 watts at 4ohms so i don't think i'd be pushing it too much

4. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    In addition to posting here, my advice would be to also call/email Jorg. He is extremely helpful, and I'm sure he could help you to figure it all out.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Probably a product of the chosen drivers, and stuffed into that tight a space.

6. Agreed!

7. Hmmm... while many of the smaller Schroeders are very mid present, and hence can sound 'compressed', that particular cab (at least when I had one) was, if anything, too wide and boomy, with too much low end relative to the mids. Jorg always considered that model his 'slap cab'.

Unless that cab has been totally redesigned (which might be the case), something seems a bit wrong here from my experience.

8. it could very well be--it just sounds like it's got a really slow attack compared to my eden 1015 cab--i thought 10s and 12s had a faster attack than a 15...i could be wrong

9. Ah... slow attack is very different than compressed. Yes, you are hearing the 'scoop' of that cab. Cabs with a lot of low end, a lot of treble, and not a lot in the middle can sound a bit 'slow', since 'quickness' as we talk about it on TB is basically defined by the mid and upper mids.

Driver size has NOTHING to do with this. One of the 'quickest' cabs I own is the wonderful Schroeder 115L+.

If you are looking for that quick, immediate, tight response, that is probably not the best choice of cabs IMO.

Eden XLT cabs are the definition of mid-oriented and hence 'quick feeling and sounding attack' IMO and IME.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Already I feel sand shifting underneath my feet. Compressed is not boomy nor is it slow. It is compressed. While boomy is boomy and slow is slow ; }

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Thermal power ratings are next to meaningless. What counts is displacement limited power and sensitivity, for which no manufacturer provides data.

12. +1 I think what he meant by 'compressed' was 'slow attack', which is a bit of a different thing. That cab is probably one of the few of Jorg's cabs that isn't a bit compressed IMO!

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    1200W is the thermally limited power handling. The excursion limited power handling is significantly less than the peak output of your amp.

Alex

14. aha that clears up a lot--i always associated that slow attack with compression

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I'd seriously amend that. It's not a lot of low end compared to mids that does this - it's a lot of mid-bass to lower-mids hump - which usually means there is little bass - that contributes to a percieved "untight" sound, especially if upper mids are not well represented.

Low end gets blamed so many times when the cabs being pointed to don't make much low end in the first place, but do have big humpy upper-bass response and poor upper-mids.

16. I don't think that's the issue here Alex (and Bill). Per the above, it's more a lack of mid response in that cab from my experience. He was using 'compression' in a bit of a different way I think (not the 'beyond xmax' thing that you tought me about, which would sound 'compressed' in the more typical use of that term).

I was never able to even come close to that cab running out of steam with various 500 and 600 watt amps, but the mid response is pretty week, and the low end extension is relatively deep. That can unfortunately be a bad combination if you are looking for a very forward, burpy or mid present tone IMO and IME!

17. To the OP....

With your LMII, make sure the VPF filter is all the way off, and the bass control is set at noon. Boost the low mid control a bit with everything else flat, and turn up the volume a bit. That's as punchy as that rig will get. If it's still too 'wide' for you, consider a different cab (Schroeder or otherwise).

Good luck!

K

18. Good point... I couldn't say where the bass frequency is sitting. It's much deeper than the upper bass response of the 1212, for example. It sounded pretty ash tray rattling to me, but not 35hz or anything. It's just more low end than mids... a sort of built in enhance scoop voicing to my ear. And again, this was on the original cab design using Eminence drivers. I'm not sure what the Celestion Neo's do to the voicing.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Just to get on the same page when describing frequency ranges I tend to think in octave divisions thusly:

Lower bass (low end): 31 Hz to 62 Hz (and below)
    Mid bass: 62 Hz to 125 Hz
    Upper bass: 125 Hz to 250 Hz

Lower midrange: 250 Hz to 500 Hz
    Mid midrange: 500 Hz to 1K Hz
    Upper midrange: 1K Hz to 2K Hz

Lower treble: 2K Hz to 4K Hz
    Mid treble: 4K Hz to 8K Hz
    Upper treble: 8K Hz to 16K Hz (and above)

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Had I not been familiar with either brand of driver's capabilities, I'd still tell you that in a box that size with that many drivers, it's not going to be about true low end, but rather a lot of mid/upper-bass hump...