Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My search for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I have been trying different fretless basses for a year now and I have it narrowed down to just two; a Warwick Thumb bolt on or a Fender Jaco Signature. I have played both and I love them both for different reasons but can only afford one. Just for laughs, which one would you guys get?????

2. For me, definately the Jaco Signature. I love the tone and prefer the feel to the Thumb. But you should choose the one that you like the best.

Good luck!
    Jeff

3. tmbg

tmbg Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2002
    I personally love warwicks. I've got a 6 year old Corvette fretless 4 string, and I keep it strung with extra extra light flats, and it has the most amazing feel and sound.

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    OK, cool, those were the kind of replies I was hoping for. Thanks and keep them coming!!

5. ctorre

ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA
    I have one and love it. Just feels great and the wiring is surprisingly excellent. I can get much more than the Jaco signature tone out of it. However, you'll certatinly want to replace the stock strings: Flats just do not do it justice. I put some coated rounds on it and the bass just sings and growls.

Charles

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hold off for two seconds and consider the Rick Turner Electroline-
    If you play one, & don't dig it, then flip a coin!

Really, that Electroline is supreme!

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I like them both for different reasons. One thing to remember is that you can get the Warwick lined or unlined, and I believe the Fender will only come lined.
    Doc

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwick, because it'll come with an ebony board.

plus i think they make incredible fretlesses :)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

With all due respect to Carl, unless he is talking about old growth Brazilian rosewood, I very strongly disagree.

There is some decent rosewood coming out of India, but it's not in the same class as ebony, not even close.

And old growth Brazilian rosewood is probably more expensive than ebony, if you can even find it.