Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My second bass '51 fender p ri

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Levi, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    It's on layaway rite now i put down 200$ and it is 500$ so i owe 330$(tax). Its near mint but has one little ding by the 5th fret which to me is worth 90$. its sunburst and sounds awesome!!! The only thing I really don't like is it has a signature on the 12th fret which is kinda lame! Anyone else has this bass and what do you think about it?

[edit] here's the link:http://www.basscentral.com/2003/fender.shtml#4string its not the same one I'm getting but same model and everything.

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Is it the Sting model?

3. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    yeah.Is it good for its price?

4. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    Hi Levi
    I bought '51 P reissue because I always wanted a real '51 but they're few and far between...and spendy. Turns out, I love this thing and now gig with it. I was very surprised how well it was put together and set-up. It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea; It certainly has a vintage P-bass sound. I bought mine at M.Friend as a scratch and dent for 500 or so. Mine's "custard" colored and you can find them and the sunburst style (usually "Sting" models but not always) on eBay quite often if you're trying to get a feel for price.
    Good luck

5. There is a difference between the Sting model and a 51 re-issue. Besides the sig at the 12th fret, the true 51RI is a slab body, while the Sting model is a contoured body, I think it is more of a 54, but I could be wrong.
    I have the 51RI and love it, but it has it's limitations as you can imagine just by looking at the bridge! Anyway, if you do a search you will find that both are great, in fact I think the consensus was that the Sting model sounded better.