1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Second Bass Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Biffa, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    My first bass build was just a shop bought neck on a solid ash body I made, the second one came about when I managed to pick up some big lumps of mahogany from a job I was working on. They had come from a patio door frame and were free so if it all went wrong it wouldn't cost me anything. It was about five years ago and I didn't finish it completely but I did the important stuff. Main thing is I did it on a budget with the bare minimum of tools. I made my own fret cutting jig, there's loads of pics but I'll start off with the early ones. Ok so files won't load, I'll keep trying

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  2. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    image.jpeg

3. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    image.jpeg

4. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    image.jpeg

5. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    image.jpeg

6. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    image.jpeg As you can see near the truss rod hole there's a mistake I made which I've filled, this bugged me slightly but it's all part of the learning curve

Beej, mikewalker, Potomuss and 3 others like this.
  7. It's not a mistake, it's a feature. A lot of my basses have such features.

Beej, Biffa, EatS1stBassist and 2 others like this.
  8. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Veneer would fix that pretty easily.

Beej and Biffa like this.
  9. Really like that headstock shape!

Biffa likes this.
  10. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    Thanks, I tried to be as original as possible without getting too carried away

11. SlingBlader

SlingBlader

Oct 19, 2013
    Noice!

12. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg This is as far as the build went. It got to a point where I realised it wouldn't reach completion, I was unhappy with too many issues, and it was always about learning more than anything. I bought a cheap headless bridge which is gonna require a new neck but that's not gonna happen now either. I removed a piece of rosewood from the heel end for another project in case you're wondering

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021