Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my second bass, what an adventure it has been...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt"bass", Dec 31, 2005.

1. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    so then here's the story, i've been playing for a long while now; have played a vast array of basses from 9 str's to the plain ordinary 4 str. just to vary my playing abit, n be ble to say to all these guitarits that yes i can play more strings than you, but that doesn't matter really.

so to make it short i kinda need a new bass, preferably active, i just prefer them n i have a pretty standard amp so its generally better sounding.
    i have looked and loved the geddy lee (passive i know) but could i "hotrod" it n put in sum active pupsn preamp, if so what pups n preamp?
    or on the other hand get the full package in a marcus miller jazz. even though they get pretty poor write ups here.

also, i know people will go "why do you want two sig models" well to be honest im not bothered, coz i think after playing them they are two very nice playing/sounding basses. n i don't care whose it is, i can change bits later to make it mine.
    after all its how you play not what you play right?

please help
    matt...

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you are going to go with the Geddy get a J-Retro pre-amp installed. No need to change the pups and you get an excellent pre-amp. You can get them at Vintagebass.com.

3. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    thanks for that, any help is appreciated.
    i've spent so many hours reasearching the subject.

does the j-retro preamp have a slap switch by any chance?
    cheers,

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    No problem. I don't think it does but I have heard only good things about it. There is a board called The Dudepit that has a forum for the J-Retro that could give you the answers you are looking for.

5. +1