Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My second custom: design phase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-34, Dec 26, 2005.

1. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I decided to build myself the second bass :)

32", EADGC, 24-26 frets, "almost" singlecut, bolt-on, ash-mahogany neck, mahogany body with fancy top (maybe koa). I'll try to wind the pickups myself :ninja:

What I have so far is this sketch:

[​IMG]

All the comments (negative or positive) are welcome :bag:

2. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nice simple design! I like it!!

I think your choice of a 32" 5 string with a high C is an interesting one that will probably work very well!! Keep us posted (and often)!!

Any other specs yet?

Jon

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I think it's a bit bulky for a 32" 5er... I think the 4+1 concept (like a Fender) would be good. That's just me, though.

4. I like the design. :p

5. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Make it a little skinnier. And do you have any pickups im mind...you may want there to be a bigger spacing between them so you can have one to pickup the highs on the C and one closer to the neck so as to still get that E's lows.

Simple is good though. And the headstock I like. 4+1 might be a good Idea design wise though (I always found thinner strings to go out of tune faster)

edt: D'oh about the pickups. But I recomend a skiny soapbar type pickup, a humbucker or something. Nordstrand has one like this, the Fat Stack which I like and can be tapped to be a single coil as well. In case you decide to go with a production pickup I recommend something like that.

Preamp?

6. geoffshort

geoffshort

Mar 29, 2005
    That looks good so far :) can't wait to see the finished product :bassist:

7. Eek.

I don't dig the "almost" single-cut look.

That would look beautiful as an actual single :)

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I dont think that the upper horn is the greatest of ideas. It looks a little too 80's for me, personally. That doesnt go so well, perhaps the way the body is symmetrical. Im not saying symmetry is bad, Im just saying that the two can't really co-exist.

Otherwise I think its a good design. I love finishing designs... no matter what other people think. I hate correcting, myself.

9. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I'd trim it down a little, put some more space between the pickups, and change the upper horn somehow. I'm also a fan of 2+3 tuner setup (aesthetically). Keep us posted!

10. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    The second approach :)

I had the great deal for already slotted 34" fingerboard, so this bass would be 34" (or still 32", but 23 frets :eyebrow: ).

So I made this second sketch for the 34" version. I added the "fake" cutout to lighten the upper horn visually, reduced the body hight a little bit and moved the pickups.

[​IMG]

:bag:

11. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you have bass building experience? What sort of equipment are you going to use? Which parts are you buying in and which are you making?

I'm curious because I know very little about bass manufacture, particularly when it's DIY.

12. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I like the first design a little better. Unless...the “fake” cutout on the second design will have the mahogany showing underneath the koa top (if that’s what you are going with).
    BTW…what are you using to “draw” your designs?

13. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Komakino, this bass will be my second built from scratch.

You can see the progress thread of the first one here in the luthier's corner: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196032

I will post another progress thread there when the actual construction of thee N°2 starts.

Duckbutter, It's what I want to get, this cutout will show the mahogany and contrasting maple stripe between the top and the body.
    I am using old version of Corel Draw LE bundled with my (old too) scanner.

14. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Then go with #2 (IMHO) :)
    Looking forward to seeing the progress.

I think I have Corel Draw somewhere; I may have to re-install it and mess around with it a little bit.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I like the 2nd one.
    I wasen't too big on a 32" 5-string. Didn't push my buttons the right way.
    Keep us posted! I'm pretty excited for this!

Mark

16. I like the designs, but why do you want an Ash/Mahogany neck? Just curious.