My second day in the U.S. got a 5-string Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, Sep 14, 2000.

1. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I got a five string musicman stingray today. Im happy and 1500 dollars poorer :)
    well worth it though
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    So??? Do we have to care??
    hehehe, Just Kidding.
    Congratulations. That's a Great Bass!!
  3. Firestarter_75

Jun 7, 2000
    Congragulations on your new bass purchase! :) I know how you feel about the poor thing. :D I just spent $1300 on a Peavey Millennium Plus 5 string about a month ago, but well worth it.
  4. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    I just picked up a used Stingray 5, transparent teal, a few weeks ago via the 'net. Was quite nervous having never played one, but due to its reputation (and the used price) I just had to get one.

The sound is amazing. True balls - more than my Modulus 6 with Bartolini's . . .
  5. toms

Aug 22, 2000
    Dito on the StingRay 5, Great bass. When I bought mine, I went to the music shop to try out a Warwick, played it, did not like the feel of the neck, picked up the StingRay, played it, was blown away with its feel and sound, took it home. Meanwhile, I've been selling of amps and speaker cabnets to pay for it!

Listen to what you don't here in a phrase, that's music!
  6. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Hey, welcome to the club. Congratulations on your purchase. I just recieved the StinRay5 that I orederd in May in the mail yesterday. Beaver Felton is the MAN and Bass Central is the STORE. He really hooked me up. What a sweet bass! I love it. Mine is vintage sunburst w/maple neck and black pickguard. Simply beautiful. I can hardly understand how I lived without one with a low B for so long. Did anybody out there get the piezo bridge option? Also, how do you StingRay guys out there have your controls set, just for fun?

7. Mine's transluscent gold with a black pickguard and maple fingerboard.

Usually I have the bass and treble up about halfway, with the mids flat or boosted just a hair.

Switch is set for series (closest to neck).

I have no photos on the web, but it's this color:

8. Good skills mate! I've had mine for over a year, still paying for it but it's more than worth it. Cost £1200 from the Bass centre. It is translucent red, black pickguard and r/w neck. One word: PUNCHY. I usually keep the p/u in series(switch towards neck) and leave the controls flat except for a bit of bass boost - let your fingers sort the tone!
  9. Am I correct in assuming that the 'original' Stingray sound (the one a four-string would give) is with the switch in the position closest to the bridge?
  10. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yup, the original stingray sound is in the bridge position.
    I don't actually think that it sounds exactly same as the four string model, but it's really hard to notice.
    I only have 4 string stingrays at the moment, but I've played stingray 5 a lot too. For slap, I leave the mids flat, and bring up some bass. Then i turn up the treble to maximum and reduxe it until the sound isn't harsh anymore. Some people like to cut the mids, but I wan't to keep them cause then slapping sounds a lot bigger. For fingerstyle i turn up the mids and bass and leave the treble flat or even reduce it a bit. For tapping and chordal playing i use the slap settings with the piezo on (if I'm playing the one with piezo that is). It adds certain high-end but still keeps the sound very warm. With a good compressor (I use EBS) I've been able to get a really Victor Wooten kind of sound but with a lot more punch and booty.
  11. toms

Aug 22, 2000
    My StingRay looks like the one on MusicMan's web site except I've got the perloid pick guard.

Regarding settings, for the Country/Rock gig I use the humbucker(series) setting with a little bass boost, this setting gives me the "growl" that seems to cut through. For most songs this setting sounds great, for tunes with a busy walking bass line, I thin it out a bit with the switch toward the bridge. I can't say enough about the sound of this bass.

I recently purchased a Fender Bassman Combo 400,BTW you guys should hear this amp! Fender has built a remarkable 210 w/bullet amp that will blow, without breaking your back!Anyway, I can gat that cool "StingRay" sound through any of my rigs. Great playing, great sounding, worth the money.