1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My second metro (or, another sizzy in the hizzy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickles, Apr 17, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just got another metro a few days ago, and it really suprised me. Its a wonderful bass, but having never had a bass with 70's J-pickup positioning, it was amazing how different it is from a bass with 60's placement. I actually listed it for sale since it wasn't quite what I was expecting ... but as I started to spend some time with it, it has REALLY grown on me.

Its just a whole different thing from a 60s style J bass, or even a bass with an ash body but 60's pickup locations. Its all about SPANK. Insanely percussive, with tons of presence, and doesn't really have that "growl" ... more of a "bark". Its a dry tone with TONS of texture in the highs. I know its a cliche, but this thing does the Marcus slap tone better than anything I've ever tried. This bass really sings in the upper register as well.

The bass is amazing. No dead spots, fast action, great tone. Another Sadowsky masterpiece. Also, this bass has the single coil pickups, and they really add a cirtain something, to my ears.

I'll follow up with more impressions as time goes by. For reference, my old Metro was an RV5 with humcancellers. I'm not sure that I'll stick with a 70's style bass long term, but this sure is fun!

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah those uv70s have a really agressive tone!

i love it! I just need to get an rv4 to set mine off! :D

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I can't imagine what it'd be like with a maple board :eek:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Man, those are my faves!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pickles, if you get rid of that bass, you might as well grow a u-joint in your leg so you can kick your own a$$!:D

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! However trading it to me would allow not to have to do that! :bag:

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yessir, I do believe you're correct!!!