1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My seemingly unique band relationships

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Seb Peters, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Hi all,

I've been reading a good few posts about how to better comunicate with other band members and stuff recently, but I've never had this as an issue.

I'm a co-founder of two projects round here, one being my main band, who are in the gigging stage and have a decent following, we're very much Prog-rock/Heavy Metal, and then there is my other band (partnership really) in which a friend of mine sings, plays piano and she sometimes does a song or two on guitar.

In both of these situations, myself and who-ever in question can communicate flawlessly, often without even speaking, or even if we're speaking in a garbles mess. My Metal Three piece is just flawless, (except the drummer, but hey, what do you expect?) and we can simply play a riff/chord progression/play a beat and the other two can almost instantly pick it up and develop it. I'm usually the starter or the second to pick up. Quite often the guitarist will just start playing something, I'll put a groove to it, and then the drummer locks in with me.

Whereas in my 'partnership' so to speak, she'll play a chord sequence on piano, I'll throw in some groove, she'll start singing (We both write the lyrics) and then I'll follow the vocal melody on some phrases, which shakes things up a little.

In both of these situations I'm one of the main creative forces, so I don't know if it's just my influence or what.

Happy days!

2. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    My previous band had the dynamics you describe. As a guitar player and main composer for that band, I was fortunate to work with fellows who seriously knew how to best compliment what was going on...to the extent that it was hard for me to take credit for the completed piece of music because without their contributions, the riffs I came up with could've very easily gone in another direction altogether.

All of them had impecable chops, but if it fit the song, no-one was above NOT playing in a passage.

Verbal communication became an afterthought. If you're already "locked in," what more do you need to say?

Politics did us in, not "musical differences."

3. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Politics eh? We ignore the damn things, they mean nothing to us.

It took a while to get our drummer into the way of things, as myself and the guitarist had a good few years of a head start, he picked up late, but me and him now make a formidable rhythm section, which is needed in a 3-piece.

4. My old band had this as well. Looking back, that's something I truly miss. If the drummer tapped his snare a certain way, we knew what he was going to, and would adjust ourselves accordingly. Or if one of us would give the others a look, we knew what that meant too. My "rolls" thread was inspired by this. What you have is a truly special thing, don't let it go!