1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Senior Project Jazz Bass, almost done

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave, Apr 19, 2006.

1. In my part of the country, we have what is called senior project, for high school seniors. For my topic, I chose to build a bass guitar. Well, tonight I finished about all of the assembly. Heres a couple pics. I dont have it wired as of now, but I will be doing that later this week probably. What I have left right now are:

- Wiring the electronics
    - Putting the pickup covers on
    - Find a different pickguard thats not so washed out looking.

Take a look and tell me what you think. These pictures arent all that great, but once Im completely finished, Ill take some better pics.

100_0487small.

100_0488.

2. Here's the specs:

- Fender '62 Reissue Jazz body
    - Warmoth Jazz neck, Maple/Wenge
    - Fender Custom Shop 60's pickups
    - Passive electronics (soon to be)
    - Gotoh 201 bridge
    - Hipshot Vintage style tuners

Thanks for looking,
    Dave

3. Wait did you buy the body and neck and all that and assemble it or did you like cut it all out yourself?

4. I bought the body and neck like that. We only have 9 weeks to do the physical product. Between this, two AP classes, and AP tests, I didnt have the time to do all that.

5. OK. That is pretty sweet. It ads to it that you know that you actually put it together yourself. I like it alot. Good work. How much did it cost all together? What color pickguard are you planning on puttin on?

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Looks very nice!

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i really like the black and tortis look!

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is that pickguard brand new? If so, it may still have the protective film on it and that's what's giving it that 'washed out' look. Just peel it off!

9. looks great!
    +1 on what DWBass said, generally TS PGs have a more vibrant color :)

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Very cool.

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    cool! What's the gold stripe between the birdge a PU? Oh and I find that for the price, that bridge is awesome!

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    That stripe is a grounding strip. It grounds the electronics to the bridge.

13. how much did this cost you?

14. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks fantastic! Great job on your senior project.

15. Itll either be another tort. one that looks better, or a black one. As for the cost, everything total was around $950, all new except for the neck, which I got off here. And thanks

Dave

16. Haha, I figured someone woud think that, but yes, the film is already peeled off. And yes it was brand new.

17. Thanks guys for all the kind words, Im really actually quite impressed with how smooth everything went. If anyone wants, I can put some step by step pics up. As far as the way it plays, its better than any Fender Ive played, granted thats not very many, so take that into consideration. I cant comment on sound yet, as I said, but that shouldnt be too far away. Again, thanks.

Dave

18. looks nice man, i think a black PG would look nice. I'm a big fan of black on black.

i always wanted to make a bass, but never had a cool enough reason like a senior project to make one.

19. Thanks. Black is my other choice, still undecided on using a black, or find a better looking tort. pickguard.

20. Please post step by step photos if you can. That wouldbe fantastic. I am thinking about assembling my own bass.