My Setup - Your opinion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by prince666, Mar 20, 2006.

1. prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    Hey people,

As I am already playing for a few years, but still don't know much about my gear setup, I would like to just hear your opinions on the stuff I use.

My musical style is mainly in the direction of Metallica (old), Iced Earth, Megadeth and some Maiden.
    also some balads, so i also like really clean sounds.

my main gear set up: A jackson 4string bass, Performer.
    A trace elliot GP11 amplefier. A boss bass distortion footswitch, and i just got a Electro Harmonix, Small Stone, but i dont realy know if it's a bass thing or a guitar thing, my friend just gave it to me cause he didnt know what to do with it.

my strings: .105

well, i am looking forward to hearing what you got to tell me about my stuff.

the pic.

Attached Files:

2. Doesn't exist without pics, y'know like.
  3. prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    If you guys want'll have to wait a little while, I will ask my friends for a camera, since I don't own one myself. When I get them (probably tonight) can I just add them on this thread?
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I think that you should ask for opinions on your amp in the amp forum and bass in the bass forum. As for my opinion on your gear well I'm not familiar with any of it except that I've never liked any distortions boss made.
  5. prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    But it's the combination of things I am curious about ;)
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Seeing as you're heavilly influenced by Metallica, Megadeth and all that good old wholesome metal that can still be called metal: I think you've got great gear. Haven't played Trace gear much, but it's quite good from what I recall, nice tone and clarity. No experience with the Jackson, but I believe it's a solid instrument, a great weapon for now.
  7. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I love Electro-Harmonix stuff. I HATE the Boss Bass OD (ODB-3?). I had one a while ago and it was perhaps a bit too EXTREME TO THE MAX. I sold it and got a Ibanez PD-7 Bass OD pedal, which is MUCH better.

Your rig looks pretty sweet. The amp looks pretty bitching. I'm guessing you play rock stuff?
  8. prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    guessed right! as i said in the top post, mainly metallica, maiden, iced earth, megadeth and other metal stuff
  9. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Does it sound good? If so, that's a nice rig. If not, keep looking for the next piece. Personally, it seems like it should work. Good luck.
  10. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Everything looks cool and good to go, except the curtains.
  11. prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    Hahahaha, those curtains indeed are a joke, but it's a student room, i got the curtains for free when I moved in, so I din't really bother changing them. Ah well, as long as they keep it dark i dont care
  12. The Small Stone is certainly a bass thing! I use mine all of the time.
  13. prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    I figured out it sounded pretty cool indeed, expecially with my Boss ODB-3. only thing is that the disto sometimes comes out a little too much, but i'll find a way around that i guess
  14. The only problem with your setup is that it's too small. Only one bass? One amp? You need at LEAST a dozen basses, maybe 8 amps, and a pedal board that could be used to hold a thanksgiving feast for 16 food-deprived Boy Scouts.:D

Rock on
  15. prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    Hahaha, good one eric!
    too bad i am still a student...i am lucky to have friends who lent me their amp and Small stone (for as long as i want) to replace my little 28 watt amp (so got 2 amps basically). For the rest, the Boss was a birthday gift and the jackson took me 2 years to save up for it ;)
    some day when i am rich i will definately have a room full of basses!!!
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It's a nice little slice of heaven.
  17. 28 watt?! What is that? I've heard of 25, and 30, but never a 28.

Rock on
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You are correct, sir. This time.