My SFT just isn't cutting it anymore...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gremson, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I've used an SFT for the past couple years with a couple different basses, through a couple different amps and it's been great. Nice and thick with just enough attitude to stand out. I've got a new rig switching between electric and upright. I got myself a GK MB200 head, and my trusty Avatar B115 cab. I use a Radial Bassbone to switch between the two. The upright sounds really good with this setup, but now my electric bass feels thin and harsh.
    I don't want to change the EQ on the amp too much since I've got the upright sounding nice. Maybe a decent overdrive with a nice EQ section would help my electric?
    I know the VT Bass and B3K are popular choices, but it's been a while since I've traveled this road. What would you guys suggest for a new overdrive pedal in the neighborhood of $150. C'mon kids! Throw some gas on the fire!

2. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    The sft is supposed to be a similar beast to the VT so the b3k will give you a different flavour. What head were you using before the mb200?

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  3. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    It got the most use through a Peavey Musician 400 and an Acoustic 470. Sounded great with either of those heads. Did a couple recording gigs with the SFT straight to DI and it sounded fine that way too. I liked what it did for all of that, but it doesn't seem to work well with the MB200.

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Maybe a cleaner drive pedal will suit your electric needs more instead of adding more EQ on top of a gain stage. The SFT has a certain voicing, as does the b3k. Perhaps something a little more transparent, but still capable of very mild grit such as the Fairfield Barbershop could do the trick? It's worked wonders for my rig in that there's never a pre-determined voicing getting in the way of the fundamental goal of just adding a little heft.

5. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    maybe try a couple of the other vintage voiced pedals such as the VT, VMT, solidgoldFX beta etc. and see if they play nicer with the GK.

6. Maybe try a Aguilar tone hammer, or maybe that's just my GAS talking.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    If you like the vintage flavour of the SFT (which is nothing like the VT), the Bearfoot Blueberry is like that but much better. Soon sold my SFT once it was in!

8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Fairfield Barbershop

9. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    This...!

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to double using an A/B box and like you wrote, once the EQ was set for the DB that's the EQ the BG got. Not ideal! My solution was to buy a two channel amp head. At the time, Walter Woods was the only choice but today there other choices...but not the MB200 :banghead:

11. SandCBass

SandCBass

Dec 4, 2011
    Big Lake, MN
    Wow... That One Control pedal just blew me away.
    That would be my suggestion on this as well.
    Dial in some bottom with the side pot, and keep your electric bass sounding good with the same amp I'd figure.

Buzz E likes this.
  12. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I went through a similar breakup with my SFT. I was surprised to end up with the Aguilar Agro at the end of my search. All the reviews I listened to made it sound like way to much, with no subtle tones at all and way too much presence. Then I saw this review by Norm Stockton that completely changed my opinion. So I bought one used and it did admittedly take some time to find my settings for it, but it will NOT be leaving my board now.

13. Wow that sounds amazing. B3k killer? :p

14. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    For $100.00 LESS than the B3K...!

15. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    For $100 or as low $50 used, the "Hardwire Cm2"(digitech) is absolutely stunning, it can sound identical to the "Swell Bpeg" or the "Blue Tube", touch responsive, natural amp like overdrive that's great on bass!!!
    the absolute best in its price range, id put it up against $400 pedals anyday!!!

16. jason73

jason73

Jan 13, 2014
    Nastyville TN
    Save your wallet and grab a joyo american. I've this very same issue and bought 2 of these to cure my church/rock out needs. Don't get me wrong the green box looks like it would be hella good but for $30 you could possibly cure the issue.

hintz likes this.
  17. Short of a two-channel amp, what about a second MB200? Used, cheap.

BassBuzzRS and jason73 like this.
  18. jason73

jason73

Jan 13, 2014
    Nastyville TN
    That and an a/b pedal would even be better.

19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    yeah, the Joyo American and UD are truly badass, especially for the price.... For a bargain, I still prefer the hardwire cm2, just more natural sound to me, a little more expensive, but just my opinion....

jason73 likes this.
  20. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    To me, the cm2 really does the cranked ampeg sound exceedingly well(I used to own an svtII and got to crank it more than a few times)the American is more versatile with more eq and the character knob(I currently own a 76 fender ps300, though it is much cleaner than a ampeg)..... I own both pedals, both sound fantastic I guess its really a fender versus ampeg thing, maybe I dig the cm2 cuz I don't have a ampeg anymore.... Anyways both are great for the OP IMO!!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021