Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY Sheehanized P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 28, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Since I don't want to steal 74rickbass' thread, I dropped my EB-O pickup into my Mexican P-bass a la Billy Sheehan today, and with about three hours behind the router and another hour with the soldering iron and pocketknife, I got it all to fit and it sounds great in my opinion, though I'm looking to swap out the EMG's for something passive soon. And if you ask me, it's not all THAT muddy, with stainless steel strings it still retains some definition, and sounds really nice in my opinion.

Next step: push-pull pot to combine both signals to a single output, but that's going to take some brainpower and parts that Radio Shack doesn't carry. And yes, I did all the routing and wiring myself, not bad for a sixteen year old kid :)

[​IMG]

Three knobs, two ouputs, just like Billy's
    [​IMG]

Pickguard is a little sloppy, forgive me, I didn't have a routing template. (Besides, if you think this is bad, you should see the wood underneath!)
    [​IMG]

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Not trying to be a jerk, but I think you ruined your bass and it looks hidious. But on the other hand you learned how to route and install a pick-up. My $.02.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I respect your opinion, but may I inquire as to how I ruined my bass? What's ugly about it? The pickguard or just having the second pickup?

I've known how to route, and I've swapped pickups before. I was just curious why you feel it was a bad idea, it sounds great, feels the same and to me that's all that matters.

4. i like it. :D
    i would think about doing it myself if i had a P.

5. I like the look of it too...better pickguard cutting would make it better. but it's ok...I still like my EB-O/P-bass better!!:spit: :D (see my thread)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    But mine's got a better color :spit: :D

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Sweet!!! I liked the neck pickup on my Gibson EB3L. My '76 P actually has the hole already routed, I've just never got around to installing a pickup there. I also like the string tree extending over the A, wish my '76 had that.

Definitely ditch the EMG and put in a Duncan or DiMarzio so it actually sounds like a bass. :p

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i like it.

congrats!

:)

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    even though look is what draws a player too a bass many times, once its a player bass few people care how it looks. He hasnt ruined the bass in any way. It does the same thing it did before, just now it does a whole nother trick. I applaude your mod and i think it looks cool.