1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My single pickup "Leo Trio"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, May 19, 2012.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my three, single pickup Leo Fender creations.

They are a 1973 Fender Precision, a 1978 MusicMan StingRay, and a 1981? G&L L-1000.

These three basses ROCK, and I'm very fortunate to have them.

Here's a little bit about each one:

The Precision is all original with the exception of the nut, and an added Hipshot tuner. The mojo is all there and I have it set up with flatwounds. The bass thumps with the best of them.

The StingRay, as you will see, is BEAT lol. Whoever had this thing put some serious miles on it and was borderline careless with the thing. That being said, its a phenomenal bass, and by far the best sounding StingRay I've owned. The neck on this is the best of the bunch; super smooth, nice and thin, fast as heck. Its got the original black epoxy preamp but the pots are new. It came with Schaller tuners when I got it, but I have since replaced them with period correct MusicMan logo'd tuners as well as a Hipshot.

The L-1000 is a beast. All original, and in nice shape. The pickup and electronics package on this bass is wonderful. It's really a great blend of the classic P and the MusicMan. The neck, to me, feels just like a Pre-CBS Fender. It's a great player and a real powerful bass.

All three are below 9lbs. which is a total coincidence since I didn't ask for a weight prior to buying them.

Anyway pics are in my next post. Enjoy

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
  3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    nice basses. i have a lefty '81 wunkay like yours, but a lil more mojo'd. i have it strung with 45-100 chromes and it's absolutely killer.

4. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Thanks! I have rounds in the g&l right now. It really is a very versatile bass, I bet it sounds great with flats.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i had dr hibeams on the bass before but they just didnt fit tonally as it's a darker sounding bass. i was actually thinking of selling/trading it when i bought a set of flats on a whim and put'em on. what a difference they made. the bass went from almost going on the chopping block to a "im never gonna sell this, ever" bass.