1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Singlecut design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skywalker83, Apr 3, 2009.

1. So after having a look at JC Basses rendering tutorial it reminded me to get on with my own current project.

I've designed my own singlecut.

At the moment the current spec is:

5-string (E to C)(Still deciding whether to go 6 string or not)
    33" Scale
    24 frets
    Buckeye burl top and matching headstock and pickup covers (may change to Flamed Maple)
    Alder and Walnut Body
    Bolt-On Wenge Neck and wenge fingerboard
    Custom M.O.P bass clef Inlays
    Ebony Ramp with bass clef inlay

Hipshot tuners and single string bridges (Gold)
    Aguilar OPB-3 Preamp

Here's the link to the first 4 hours i spent on it today in photoshop.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3410060732_e888c9b699_b.jpg

Comments and crit welcome!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Looks good. Here's something to consider: if you move the bridge closer to the end of the body it can make for a shorter reach for your left hand. Of course that will shift everything towards the bridge and you'll have to re-address upper fret access among other things. The upper fret access looks fine in your rendering.

With a 33" scale it may not be that big of an issue but it would likely make it even easier to play.

3. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    Nice work, glad to see my tutorial helped you out.

4. Yeah it's a good tutorial, and i think the first of its kind, i haven't seen any other bass/guitar rendering tutorials like this. I'm not a pro on Photoshop either but i don't regret taking the time to learn how to use some of the basic functions of it, which is all i've really used for this render and as you can see the results are pretty good.

If anyone has any questions about how i did any parts of it just ask i'll be more than happy to share it with you.
    There's no right or wrong ways to do things, its just about what you're comfortable with doing and works best for you to get the results you want.