Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My sister is awesome

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, May 9, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Scored her SECOND hat trick yesterday at her lacrosse game.

She's on her school's JV lacrosse squad, she's a Freshman. My dad e-mailed me the news and a pic of her playing.

SECOND Hat trick! She's hardcore!

I was an alright lacrosse player, I always played defense. I quit after sophomore year because it wasn't fun for me anymore (also, the year we moved, I didn't really feel like playing sports while I was trying to get used to a new environment). But Alice (my sis) is rocking it hardcore, representing the clan on the field. She's a tough one, too, grew up as the youngest in a house full of boys, she could probably beat up most of the boys in her school.

She also has good taste in music, she was raised well :D.

2. Whats a hat trick? :confused:

Congrats.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Scoring three goals in one game by one player.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Awesome. I love watching lacrosse although i never got around to learning to play. I play tennis as my main sport and am representin my 'clan' well enough in that :p.

5. 3 goals? damn!

Lacrosse is pretty big in MD I think...

I knew a few classmates that play it,I heard it can get rough.

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    But is she hot?!??!? PICS!

7. i 2nd the pics;)

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I never did get lacrosse. We don't have that down here. Football is the state religion and you are not allowed to do anything to distract the 'athletes' from football related activities.

Track events are okay...to keep the speed up for next seasons football.
    Weight training is mandatory...again to keep you ready for football.
    Baseball is grudgingly allowed because it is officially the national past-time.
    We have basketball, but, and I'm not kidding, it's supposed to be only for the guys that couldn't make the football team and the girls.

All other events ( volleyball and softball) are just for the girls

This was actual policy when I was in high school. I played football for three years without knowing the rules. For my position, every play was the same.

1. Watch the ball. When it moves, smush the guy who had it.
    2. If you smush him fast enough, go over his body to smush the guy he gave the ball to.
    3. If you aren't fast enough to smush that guy, try to smush the guy HE gave the ball to, but only if he runs up the middle.

Three years before I knew anything more than that. And I did ask. "Which down is this? Is that guy an eligible receiver? Wait a minute. What's this guy doing?" I was always told "Just worry about your position." Probably part of the attitude that made me decide to be a bass player. I DON'T like just doing one small part.

9. There was a guy on my floor last year who's on the lacrosse team here, and in one of the classes we had together we got to talking about the difference between men's & women's lacrosse. I have since forgotten what he said, and I don't have his contact information, so...

What is the difference between men's lacrosse and women's lacrosse?

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Men's lacrosse has a LOT of contact. I suppose you could relate it to hockey being played on a field (NOT field hockey), except you try to keep the ball up in the stick, and not down on the ground. You wear a helmet, chest and elbow pads and gloves. You can poke and slap a person's stick and body check them ("discreetly") to get the ball out of their stick. The pocket on the head of the stick is deeper because of the stick checks and passes are more forced. Also, there are two stick length requirements: Middie/Attack length (around 30" or so,I think) and Defense stick length (52"-72")

[​IMG]
    Defense and attacker

Women's lacrosse has pretty much no padding (except mouthguards, and occasionally they wear these grill thingies over their eyes) and no stick checks. Pretty much no physical contact, the sticks are all about the same length and the pockets aren't nearly as deep as men's sticks. As a result, passing and cradling are essential.

[​IMG]
    Women's Lacrosse

Though men's lacrosse is more frentic with all the "smushing", hootin' hollerin' and testoserone flying around, women's lacrosse is usually faster. Especially if they team knows what they're doing and are skilled. Playing with a women's stick is HARD, and while it may not get respect from the bloodsport fans, I give it to them, they deserve it.

11. You think?!?!? You must have just moved here. Lacrosse is bigger than football in Maryland. It should be the state sport but somehow jousting is...really....jousting....:confused:

Now repent and go watch a game or two.

12. It's exactly the same down here in this part of TX as well. Our team sucks but somehow everyone in town has to go to every single friggin game :rolleyes:

13. She single ?

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

15. Ugh, i watched a girls lacrosse game today at my highschool, and it was a painful experience. Every few mins the ref would blow his whistle and stop the game because the other team tried to play defense. It just doesnt make sense. To me it is pathetic compared to boys lacrosse.
    One more thing HOW DO YOU PLAY A GAME WITH NO FIELD BOUNDARIES

16. so, do you throw squid in lacrosse?