Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my sisters school and privacy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Apparently they will look at their student's myspace... and if it says they do drugs or drink or smoke, they print it off and send it to the parents.

thats lame. its 100% none of their business...

its a private high school, btw.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    tsk, tsk...

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Where would they put that information? Under hobbies?

Don't put advertise that crap and you want have to worry about it.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Perhaps there is some type of a student agreement, or a form your parents signed saying the school has the right to examine all computer files at their discretion.

I have seen this with employers quite few times in recent years. I think it has something to do with the fact they since you don't own the PC, the owner of the PC is allowed to inspect it at their discretion.

After thinking a little more, and then reading your post a couple more times, I don't think what I said applies. Your sister could go home and type all night on MySpace, and then have the school be able to inspect it? That doesn't seem fair or right to me.

-Mike

5. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Wasn't there a thread here a while ago where the poster got in trouble because he posted some stuff on his livejournal and someone printed it off and showed it to the school?

Stuff like that is happening increasingly here as well. Except not for drinking/smoking, but rather if the kids criticize the school, they get in trouble. I would understand the drinking/smoking/drugs, but kids getting detention for saying that they don't like school?

Vince

6. Someone has way to much time... it's none of the school's business to read student's livejournal/Myspace stuff. So that's what they are doing with their budget... ;)

7. That reminds me of when my school made us sign the little contracts saying " I swear I won't drink or smoke while i am under age" . I got drunk that night.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The internet is a public forum. Don't put stuff on there you wouldn't be comfortable wearing on a tshirt in public, because you have no way of controlling who reads it.

And if students are accessing stuff through computers owned by the school, the school is not only allowed, but required by US law to monitor what they are doing. If educators are aware that a student is engaging in illegal activities they are also required by law to notify that student's parents.

Minors have no right to privacy. You can actually argue minors have no rights of their own, as all their rights can be waived for them by their parent/guardian.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D

If a had kids, they'd go to a school that prints my kids websites and mails them to me!

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I hope my son's new school cares this much.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There is no privacy on the internet.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Money's just worried that he's going to get busted because of his sister now.

brad cook

13. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    While it's well within the rights of the school to do this, and i believe it's a parent's right to know what their child is doing, and that children shouldn't drink or do drugs, i have to ask....

Is this what schools are meant to be doing? Are they watchdogs, or educators, and is there/should there be a difference?

AFAIK, schools are there to educate children, not police their behavior outside of the school, and i think, considering the poor performance of our educational system, that the school could probably spend their time and money better elsewhere, rather than providing social services to families.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    A school teacher is in the role of loco parentis when they take charge of school children. That means they have the same responsibilities of the parent.

Secondly, most cases of child abuse are first detected by the child's school teachers and reported to the correct authorities that way.

You cant have it both ways... which one do you want?

15. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Interesting, i'd never heard the term "loco parentis;" i think, though, that's problematic, in that their are no necessary qualifications for being a parent (beyond a certain biological capability) whereas there are (or used to be) stringent standards required for being a teacher.

While i certainly want teachers and other school employees to keep my children safe, i don't think that this extends beyond the boundaries of the school, both temporally and spatially. And, i'm ignorant as to this, but what are the rights and responsibilities of teachers as pertains to this "parenting?"

I support teachers being mandated reporters for abuse and neglect; i work with children, and, while 99% of abuse allegations are investigated and found false here (at work,) i think that they server a valuable purpose in that capacity.

But, as it pertains to teachers as parents, i think there are examples where this model fails the child: teachers all too often, here, have the ear of school psychologists when describing childrens' behavior and how to amend it, whereas their "real" parents have little clout at all. Result? Every last one of my kids (at work) are given the "choice" of taking behavior management medications, or finding another school to attend. I don't think we want para-professionals making recomendations for medication.

So, i'd say that i want things somewhere in between: watch for abuse and neglect, keep children safe while they're in the teachers custody, but spend resources on teaching math and science, and less on surfing myspace and recomending meds.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What everyone else said Mike. If it is done on the school's computer, they have every right to it. You don't have any privacy at school...i.e., lockers, etc. I personally have no problem with any of it. Your views tend to change when you are a parent.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    As far as I understand it educators are required to notify parents if they discover that a child is doing anything illegal, regardless of where/when the behavior took place. Even something as minor as overhearing two kids talking about getting high last weekend must technically be reported to the parent, failing to do that is a violation of several state and federal laws.

I fully agree with you on the medication issue, school psychiatrists (most of whom are actually LCSWs, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, no actual DOCTORS) tried to force my parents to place me on a number of different medications when I was a child because they felt my behavior was consistent with certain conditions.

Never mind the fact that I had a completely different condition, one that actually caused me to become violent and suicidal when given certain kinds of drugs. Fortuneatly my parents are medical professionals and presented the school with concrete medical evidence that putting me on certain drugs would be potentially life-threatening. Had they been normal working adults without access to volumes of medical literature and experts in that field something very bad would possibly have happened.

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Confessing to this sort of behaviour on the internet is akin to putting up posters the world over (including inside your school) that say that you are explicitly breaking school rules. If you put up posters on the walls of your high school saying "I smoke the reefer!" what do you think would happen? If teachers and administrators see this kind of thing, they pretty much have to respond. Otherwise they will increasingly lose control of students.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That is absurd.

I'm happy I don't do any of that crap.

20. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Didn't gothivoy go through something similar? Where is he right now?