Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My situation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fleabass89, Mar 31, 2001.

1. let's see, i have a Fender MIM P-bass and a polytone guitar amp. Its 135W. I've been in the market for a 5-string bass, but I also need an amp. I can't really play with a band because either the amp isn't loud enough or when i turn it up all the way it sounds like crap and it all muddy and distorted because it's really a guitar amp. What should i do? Get the bass ($500) or get an amp? I feel kind of trapped at this point. All the amps I would consider getting are way too expensive. If you say amp, what kind, how many watts?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're near Pittsburgh, so getting to a market with several music stores and trying before you buy, (or taking it back after), isn't a problem I guess.

It also sounds like your limit is $500, and that your desire is to play with a band, (good, it will make you a better player). Well, a new bass won't solve that.

What amps are you considering? Have you looked at the Ampeg BA115 or an SWR Workingman's 12?
    They aren't bigger or more powerful than your amp, but the make has a lot to do with what comes out of the amp. Ideally, I'd like to see you with some 10"s for max volume for least cost, but I don't know of any at $500.

3. Yes, $500 is about my limit. I dont know if 50W would be enough, but that's a nice price (359 in musicians friend). There's a BA115 Combo which is a 15" and 100W for 429 bucks. I looked at some carvins, some which might suit my needs.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Look around for a used amp.I found a 300 watt Peavey TNT(not the greatest,I know)for $60 in the local swap sheet.Good enough for now,and when I decide(read:have the money) to step up to something really nice I should be able to sell the TNT for at least what I paid for it.

5. sint

sint

Dec 24, 2000
    The Netherlands
    If you want to play in a band, assuming you already have some people in mind, you should check out their amps and their volume before you buy yours.
    A bass-amp needs at least 100W to produce enough sound in a band or in large rooms.
    I don't know anything about the prices of amps in your country so I can't tell you anything about that.

6. 300 watts would be loud enough. $60? Wow that's a bargain. I can get a carvin 160W combo for $399, i've been considering that. But if I can find something better than that used and cheaper, I'll look into that.

I might seem picky about volume, but I'm gonna be playing in a band a band with 1 or 2 distorted guitar(s) and a drummer. Loudness is an important factor for me. Of course, the tone is also. If I turn it up loud and it sounds like crap and is all muddy and distorted, I don't like it no matter how loud it is.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

flea - Remember, he said he "found" it, not tried it out. It may be one of those fluke, incredible deals, but pawn shops aren't exactly reputable dealers, IME. They're not known for being nice guys about taking anything back if you found it had some shoddy repair/reconditioning job done to it when/if it craps out.

Plus, used smaller-medium amps have usually had the snot blown out of them because someone extracted every decibel they could out of them before they had to get a bigger amp or just quit altogether.

You might consider posting at the Carvin discussion board and seeing if anyone can give you feedback on the Carvin. I own a couple of their large amps, and the Carvin offers about the least you can pay and still stay in pro quality gear territory. Best bang for the buck that I've found.