1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Skjold 6 in progress (a first custom adventure)...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Mar 13, 2006.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Dude, Ty! I didn't know you were on here? Or at least I never made the connection.

2. policyvote

policyvote

Jul 31, 2006
    Holt, MI
    Yeah, fairly recently (check the profile), but I am all about TB now. I looked for a good bass forum back in the day ('98-'99), but somehow never found this place.

Anyway, the monster is truly monstrous--and 100% Nate. Passive, one pot? Oh yeah, that's the stuff. BTW, I think you made the perfect choice--from reading on here, I'd already decided that if I ever went full custom, it would be a Skjold. Nicely done.

However, that won't be for a long, long time, as I just got my Gretsch out of layway--thread coming shortly, I just have to record some clips. If you search here, you can check out the post I made when I put it on layaway.

Peace
    policy

3. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    So I subbed for a buddy of mine this weekend and it gave me a chance to give the new Skjold a real workout. It was, in a word: UNSTOPPABLE.

Gig: 8 piece band, in a DMB vein - drum kit, percussion, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keys, bass, sax, trumpet/trombone.

Room: Medium size? 200 or so people. Raised stage w/PA support. My rig was pretty much my monitor.

You can check the specs on my bass here:

I have jammed with this band before, and I knew the night was going to go well when I pulled the bubinga monster out of the case and the percussionist's eyes got real big and he said "Duuuuude! What is that?!"

We barely got a soundcheck. I was a little worried because the sound guy checked bass guitar for all of 10 seconds. I had only had the bass for a couple days - still in the figuring-out-the-EQ-situation phase and I was a little worried about how I was going to sit in this busy mix.

My worries, however, were fairly unfounded. I started the night flat on the amp - the tone on the bass at about half. By the end of the night, I had rolled of the low end a tiny bit, and and boosted the low mids a tiny bit. For a couple of solos, I actually rolled off the tone on the bass slightly. Otherwise I kept it around half.

The bass sat great in this mix. Twice, in fact I found myself laying back - afraid that I might be a tad too up front. The bass is so responsive and I didn't even touch my volume pedal. There are so many sound to be had with just technique and hand position I never once wished for more "flexibility."

Sound wise, the low end is absolutely huge, but never woofy or overwhelming. The mids and highs were present, and when I say present I mean spot on perfect. The bass is very musical sounding, for lack of a better word. I never heard a sound out of it that wasn't working very well indeed. I recieved several positive comments on my tone, and even a couple about my playing!

Oh, and did I mention that it was light? I barely felt it after 3 sets. The neck is well shaped and the bass as a whole is very ergonomic. It is actually a shorter reach to first position than it is on my Carvin and much shorted than a my Modulus. I experienced no neck dive with my official TB Moody strap.

My experience with this gig confirmed a lot of feelings that I had the moment I played my first notes on the instrument. It is so much more than what I had asked for or hoped for. This bass is perfect for me - it is the bass I have heard in my head for as long as I have been playing. It can go from smooth to raw to burpy (yes burpy) to big and round and all I have to do is think about it - no knob twiddling required. It has all the classic P tones, all the modern P tones, some modern tones I was not expecting at all. I was surprised at its full on modern humbucker tone.

On the way home from the gig I told my wife "I don't think I can play another bass from now on." She replied "Then I guess it's a good thing he's making you another one!"

I would like to thank Pete for the bass - it really is something special. If my next Skjold is half as great as this one is - they'll make quite the pair.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Great review! I'm glad it worked out so well for you. Based on Pete and Juneau's video, it seemed like your bass had some very useful tones. Who needs all the knobs?

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Seriously Will, knobs are for losers... :bag:

This bass has all the tones I need, that's for sure.