1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Skjold 6 in progress (a first custom adventure)...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    G -

My Skjold 6 and yours will be cohorts. Pete's building them in the same batch. Mine's the one-piece all-ash body with the maple neck and board.

I'm also going passive, although with the separate PU option rather than the C-4. I find that I've got plenty of tone shaping options on my preamp and via my right hand. My Yamaha TRB has an OBP-3 in it, and I wind up with it flat almost all the time.

There's also the argument for simplicity. When I set up my rig at a show, probably 40% of the time no sound comes out the first time I throw the switch. It's never a big deal - either a loose connection from the car ride over, a plug that's not sitting tight in the power conditioner, or a dead battery. With a passive bass, there's one less thing to go wrong.

And, fewer knobs.

In any case, I look forward to seeing our children grow up together! :smug:

2. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Will,

Actually it's not even a C-4 pickup. Just a single SC-1. If I am not mistaken, the SC-1 pickups are split coil design, like a p pup. The C-4, again if I am not mistaken, is simple two SC-1 pups in the same casing.

I hear you about keeping things simple. In my current gig I play 90% of the show with the strings palm muted. I sit within reach of my rig, and my foot never leaves the volume pedal.

I can't wait to see our basses finished together. Yours sounds just awesome. WHich body style?

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's gonna be one sweeeet bass. No, Really!!

4. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I struggled with that decision, and eventually chose the standard '92. My thought was to go with the most compact body style possible in a six-string, to make it a viable all-night player.

Also, I actually showed pictures of both the standard and offset designs to non-player friends (and my wife), and the general preference in that non-scientific poll was the standard. That didn't make my decision for me, but it validated a tough choice.

5. anderbird 13

anderbird 13

Feb 19, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    I saw your bass in progress on Monday, it is really stunning, the photos don't do it justice. I am sure you will love that bass.

Pete's work continues to kill me, they were good basses a year ago, and each one continues to be even better. What a great bass from a really good guy.
    SA

6. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Dude, you saw my bass? And it was better than in the pics? Yes! THanks for letting me know.

7. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    G,
    I pass right by Pete's shop everyday on my way to and from work. How's that for proximity?

I don't drop by too often myself because I don't want to take Pete away from his paying customers....when I'm just there to gawk.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Should have more pics for you tomorrow, will post em Monday :)

9. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Would you get some of mine too, if there's any more progress on it?

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I dont discriminate, all the basses should be in the same stage of production, so if there's progress on one, there is likely progress on them all :)

I will get pics of the whole batch hehe.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pete's talented!

.... I'm watching this thread!

12. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Juneau... My hero.

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    (...steps on bus and puts token in...)

I also have a new SKjold on the way, most likely done about the same time as this one and Tom's, but while it's gonna' have some pretty cool features, it's not gonna' be one of the super-duper ultra-cool customs. I don't think I can make the LDS GTG, tho... not sure... gonna' pain me to know about it, tho... :)

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1, tho I'm jonesin' for some more pics... I figure that'll be a constant condition until I get the bass, tho... :)

15. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    You know Vic, we still haven't heard the full specs on yours yet...

16. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Congrats G

I am seriously thinking about a Skjold.
    I listen to the clip of tombowlus' EC4 everyday.
    I would love to have one of those in a 5.
    I've got to talk to Pete.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ;) ...soon...

18. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    Pete's work continues to kill me, they were good basses a year ago, and each one continues to be even better. What a great bass from a really good guy.
    SA[/QUOTE]

i agree.i bought my first skjold custom 5 almost two years ago and it was super sweet.i now play an exotic custom 5 and a custom 5 fretless that i got last summer.i saw a few in the last batch that shipped out.i would also say that his work only gets better.
    pete is also a great guy to deal with.

19. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Alright, I'm in too. I've got two Custom 5s underway in this current batch too.
    I've got the Quilted Maple fretted and the Redwood fretless that are pictured on the players site in my thread.
    I called Pete about stopping by there today but Pete said he's got a lot on his plate right now so I decided to stay out of his hair.
    You're absolutely right about Pete's basses getting better.
    He's using different pick-up windings, different wood working techniques, different finishes, a new custom bridge, and all kinds of other stuff I can't remember in this current batch of basses.
    He's really committed to making the best instruments he can. It's really cool living close enough to drop in and see how your basses are coming along!
    The waiting is killing me though!

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yup, and that ain't all, either. Something else new comin' down the pike... soon.... ;)

+1!!!! ugh...