1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Skjold 6 in progress (a first custom adventure)...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX

Well, I don't know anything about "new" preamps. I was thinking that the 3-band has the ultra-bright too, so in my eyes, it's like having a 4-band.

Sorry for the confusion.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nah, that's not an EQ band, it's just a contour/notch switch. Generally speaking, I think most don't really consider it an "eq band" unless it's supports continuously variable adjustment at one or more frequencies... basically, sliders or knobs. :)

3. This is great- another Skjold. Glad to see the progress comming along so nicely and Pete wa great to work w/.

WJGeer-
    I too did the simplicity thing w/ Pete. Simple and classic. You might consider having Pete "enhance" the grain- if thats your bag.
    fcm_skjold_front161_213.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Beautiful bass. Actually, I discussed grain enhancement with Pete, and thought strongly about it before I decided to go natural. Great suggestion, and it definitely looks classy on yours.

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    FCM3 - that bass is just plain awesome. Love the finish, love the fret markers.

Do you think the enhanced grain would work on alder?

6. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification

like vic says its not really a 4 band but like you basso thats how i think of it too when i eq it-almost like having 4 bands to work with.ive had my exotic custom for a year now and im still exploring the eq possibilities.i cant wait to hear the new preamp.plus the other gem pete has in the works.pete.....oh pete.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Pete doesnt usually use Alder, normally only Ash (light, more high end), Spanish Cedar (more midrange - middle of the road weight wise), and Mahogany (more low end, more midrange, heaviest). He may use it on request though.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ahh I see how you were looking at it John. The ultrabright switch is just a bump in the 7k range. To be honest, it seems to only add string noise hehe. Im sure it might be more helpfull with less bright setups though. Going with Ash/Maple Board, I will likely never have a use for it. However, if I was using a Mahogany Body, with something like Wenge as the FB, or Cocobolo or something, I might have a need for it. It might be helpfull too if your strings start going a bit dead and you dont have time to change em out before a gig or something.

9. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw

hey g,your bass is coming along nicely.cant wait to hear it.
    not so sure on the enhancement on alder-alder typically doesnt have alot of figure,but each piece is different.you may talk to pete about it.ive seen wood in petes shop that didnt look all that figured to me come out unbelievable.

10. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw

i use mine all the time-just a touch though.really adds some zing when you need it.mine is a mahogany body with a maple board.funny now that you mention it i havent changed my strings an a while.

btw any pics of my new skjold in progress????please.......please.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya its amazing how raw wood, compared to sanded and planed wood looks, and then after finish, it all comes alive. I've seen some of the raw blocks these tops and stuff come from, and I wasnt real impressed with a lot of them, before it got cut hehe. Its a true art to be able to see the quality of something in an unfinished state and make a call on buying the wood. Pete is a master of visualization, and sees finished products in his head when they are all large chunks of raw wood. I've always considered myself good at that sort of thing, but Pete has much more experience to be able to judge those things. Its great to be involved with a builder, that as a player is amazing, as a sound engineer knows all the in's and out's, and as an artist can visualize the final products looks and sound before he ever cuts a piece of wood.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Go to skjoldplayers.com and look in the current batch pics. Im sure are pics of yours in there too :)

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You know, I have this whole love/hate thing going with you guys from TX... on the one hand, I love the feedback and ESPECIALLY the WIP pics... on the other hand, I hate that you guys get to check out all our basses before we do... :D

14. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw

+1 did you see the block of wood pete used for his personal bass.i went by the shop one day and he showed it to me and said "what do ya think".i said well its your bass....ha.he showed it to me after he planed it and sanded it and it was probably the most impressive piece of figured maple ive ever seen.im amazed at what he sees in a plain block of wood.thats why ive always let him have the final say on yhe wood choices.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Don't feel bad Vic, we have the same feelings about you getting to hang with Tom and all his awesome gear lol. You guys need to rent a uhaul, load it up with goodies, and come spend a weekend or something in Dallas :)

16. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw

i totally understand.but like i told g,we are respectful and graceous on the outside,and keep our lust to ourselves-like your friends girl that you cant have:crying:

seriously though,its really awesome to see these things go from a pile of wood to an incredable instrument.ive told pete several times i dont see how he sells any of them.id want to keep them all.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, I LOVE DFW area, and would really enjoy hangin' with you guys someday. Maybe somehow treat myself to a long weekend for bass stuff road trip... :)

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ok, are there any pics of this piece????

You can't just drop a bomb like that and leave it there... that's just CRUEL! :)

19. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw

im sure there is somewhere.his personal bass is the cherryburst single cut five string fretless.i think the pics of it finished are on his site.im telling ya,i dont know if any pic could do it justice.that bass in preson is sick.just amazing.

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Don't think I got any pics of it before it was put together.