1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My slap (beginning to advanced) instructional video!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MarkMcBass, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkMcBass

MarkMcBass

Apr 7, 2010

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I am truly at a loss for words....

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Jon, I'm actually crying here. I'm just thinking about what must be the look on your face right now... :D

Oh well. It's all instructional stuff and there's always something to be learned from sharing. Excuse me, I need to go to the lavatory.

4. .

5. Jaguar

Jaguar

Nov 19, 2006
    USA
    Subscribed!

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Paul Santucci is currently grinning from ear to ear...

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    You should show this video to Jeff Berlin in his thread!

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

I'll be the honest on here, since you asked. It's not a good thing.

9. MarkMcBass

MarkMcBass

Apr 7, 2010
    hmm critique please? is posting vids frowned upon here?

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    No no, he's just a real stickler is all, isnt that right Jon? ;)

Anyways, i came across your myspace music. This cover of Canon in D that you change to F# is pretty nuts.

http://www.myspace.com/markmcananey (I reccomend you guys check this out)

Can you tell me more about how you did that?

11. MarkMcBass

MarkMcBass

Apr 7, 2010

ohhhh so yous are just picking on me haha i thought i just started a war posting videos up haha i didnt wanna make peopel think im one of those "im better than everyone" types you know.. i just did them for exposure but thanks! im glad you like my stuff! umm that song i took the chord progression from the pachebel version and just broke up and arpeggiated the chords and it gave it a darker mood. then the melody i did with a piccolo bass! and id play the first 3 bars of it as pachebel wrote them and the 4th bar i played as an improved ending to it. and the chord progression was also played (not arpeggiated..just rung out as full chords) with a subtle acoustic bass in the back of everything.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Aah, ok. I think i get the idea. I'll have to try to do it too.

13. MarkMcBass

MarkMcBass

Apr 7, 2010

awesome! i did a cover of Schuberts Piano Trio in Eb (i did it in Bb Locrian to make it darker) cause i heard this song in the silent film version of phantom of the opera. i didnt record it yet but i played it live so ill put up a video of it asap!

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Posting vids is fine, but you're posting an instructional video and well....

Here's the basics of my critique:

nearly zero instructional content, to start with.

You briefly begin a description of slapping, without actually explaining any of the real technique. Then you say "when you get good at it, we're gonna add popping', without giving any exercises or any hint at *how* to 'get good at it'. That's understandable, because it's clear from some of your demos that you're not very good at it either. Rhythmically imprecise and sloppy.

Your slap/pop/tap demonstration is truly a mess - I just don't know what else to tell you besides that. For the rest of the video, I'm really trying to figure out if you're joking or not....

I'm not trying to be disrespectful with this, just giving my impressions. But it's clear to me you are not ready to be teaching. And the exposure you get from this won't be the kind of exposure you want...

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    oh gee!

mark, you seem like a really nice guy with a very positive outlook and an eagerness to share, and from the couple minutes i spent watching your video before i couldn't take anymore, i got the impression that if i had a daughter i'd be ok with her dating you (you'd have to shave that chin fuzz off first, but it's ok since i don't have a daughter ;) ). but you just aren't ready to be teaching yet. jon was a little more direct than i'm being, but i'll spare you repeating the details and i'll just agree with him.

have you ever studied with a teacher? i mean a good teacher who's academically trained and has a background in jazz and not just some dude at the music store who teaches kids how to play their favorite hit rock songs? if you haven't, try to do so. you will totally get what we're talking about by the end of the first lesson. i respect wanting to teach...it's very noble and good. but you just aren't ready, bro.

16. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Jimmy, in all fairness, if you look at his tapping thread he already taught me this total badass technique. Check it out, He has some stuff to offer.

17. MarkMcBass

MarkMcBass

Apr 7, 2010
    ehhh well think what you want..even victor wooten has people like you stickling him i guess. ive been warned haha but yeah i made this about 5-6 yrs ago when i was still in my "the faster the better" phase everyone goes through. i wasnt trying to do my very best possibly here, just demonstrate to catch a beginners attention but at least put reference material there for advanced players too.

18. MarkMcBass

MarkMcBass

Apr 7, 2010
    dont worry the beards lone gone haha the videos 5 yrs old haha but i wouldve spent more time in the video but i was trying to make it short enough to put on youtube at the time haha plus in that stage of the game like i said..i was int he "faster the better" stage

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You got me, dude. I was just so jealous about not being able to get the sweet gigs you get that I just had to take a swipe at you. My apologies.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    santucci, you are knockin' 'em out of the park, and deep down i want to laugh, but the dude is so earnest about it that i just can't do it. god bless him...i like this kid. he means well and he's not arrogant. that's a lot more than i can say about most of the kids who post youtube instructional videos that shouldn't be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.