Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My slapping isn't loud

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kato_kaylin, Feb 11, 2003.

1. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    First of all my friend just got a new Ibanez GSR200 and when I do any kind of slapping or plucking it is a lot louder than mine on a Fender P-bass.
    I think he has nickle strings but I have black Fender tapewounds on my bass if that helps anyone. Hope you can help. :p

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Are those black strings the plastic feel ones? if they are in order to get a good sound try nickel or steel strings. steel strings will be very brite and nickel will be a little duller.:bassist:

3. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    yea they seem kind of plastic.
    I like playing them but i think i might invest in some steel strings then

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    p basses aren't known for their tremendous slapability (new word! :bassist: ), but the tapewounds will definitely not help you in that aspect. go for some steel/nickel roundwounds - they'll definitely help.

5. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    Well I do still have the originals that it came with and i just put the low E on and it made a sound and i like it, however, the tapes seem very dull when i pluck. will a D string or a high E make a more DING sound (why did i just say that?). well anyways whats the dealio.

6. IME, you really need a bridge pickup for the DING sound. a P has a different slap sound, but that doesn't mean it's worse. that said, the strings that will get you closest to your goal are DR hi-beams. stainless steel for brightness, and flexible for easy popping.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Please use strings from the same set or string balance will suffer not to mention intonation and tuning problems.

8. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    what exactly do you mean by string balance?

9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    String balance refers to a good balance of tone and volume from string to string.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He spells it "Kaelin."