1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My small journey through refinishing an OLP MM3 [PICS]

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassTeeth, Mar 27, 2015.

1. BassTeeth

BassTeeth

Mar 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    none
    So I have spent the past week working on this thing trying to clean it up, paint it and make her pretty again! I bought my MM3 on craigslist for $100, so I figured I would give it a shot. She plays great and sounded ok, but when I pulled the pickguard off, the electronics basically disintegrated into dust, so I bought an EMG MM5CS with pots and wiring (all comes as part of a package) to put into her. Still waiting on it to get here......But inthe mean time I decided I was going to repaint her and see if I could make her match me a little more. I sanded the clear coat down with some 250 sand paper and made sure it was as smooth as I could get it. Then I hung it up in the garage to start painting.

20150326_140044.

here's the body after 4 coats of flat black. the 4th coat was still pretty fresh in each of these pics...

20150326_140053.

I Decided to go ahead and paint the neck as well. Not really sure why, but it just felt right honestly. it was originally bare maple and looked pretty bland really.

20150326_140101.

the next day I applied 4 coats of matte clear coat and it's been hanging up for a few days in an empty closet. I just pulled it back out and put all the hardware back on and I think she's pretty damn gorgeous if I do say so myself.

20150327_162645.

20150327_162623.

20150327_162553.

20150327_162533.

20150327_162514.

she's not perfect by any means, but this was my first time ever doing something like this and I'm pretty proud of myself. Just thought I'd share with you guys and I'll update when the EMG comes in and I get it installed.

2. Wanted to reply to this since it seemed to be lost and unloved.

Very nice (stealth) look.

BassTeeth likes this.
  3. BassTeeth

BassTeeth

Mar 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    none
    Thanks man! that's the look I was going for. There's a bit of orange peeling in the paint, but it gives it kind of a textured look which is cool and different from most standard paint jobs I've seen.

4. That looks nice man, black is a hard finish to spay. I like it though. I bet it'll sound great with the new EMG pickup. Good job bro!

BassTeeth likes this.
  5. Nice work!

BassTeeth likes this.
  6. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    That really looks nice man! Good job!

BassTeeth likes this.