My Small Thoughts about Davie504 and his take of "Sunny"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gusrb5, Dec 3, 2021.

1. gusrb5

gusrb5

Apr 12, 2013
    South Korea

I always thought about Davie504 as a missed opportunity because of his chops.
    He made a slap bass as a meme, but seriously I think he had a big chance of being a world class musician. If he had some really nice education, I think he can play anywhere that needs a slap bass.
    Not only he plays the slap well but also he knows the proper scale to use with his finger. Fantastic J-bass tone as well.
    And this is quite a bold claim, I know, but IMO I think he is one of the best(Not the best!) 4 string bass player since the SMV. A friend of mine told me that it is too much of you to say like that, but I really think he knows how to make the plain old 4 string bass shine to anonymous people. I'm not mentioning the youtube game he had. Just for the sheer ability that he showed to young kids to grab their 4 string.

But he became the Pewdiepie of bass world. I think that's kinda sad but also great if he feels great at choosing that path, no bad intentions included.
    I really hope him to start his professional career at one day. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, this is his approach on "Sunny" by Tomo Fujita. Absolutely worth a listen IMO.

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I kind of dig him. At times. But I found his more recent vids almost unintelligible.

I think he’s making more money by working solo in his bedroom than he’d ever make as a performing bassist - at least to start. That’s a huge barrier to overcome.

I suppose that when he becomes a billionaire, he can retire from YouTube and play bass in a cover band.

Cheryl J, Clark W, HolmeBass and 29 others like this.
  3. gusrb5

gusrb5

Apr 12, 2013
    South Korea
    Yeah it became kids channel, really. Today I saw this video and it impressed me. I agree that bold line and kinda sucks that 'what if' game doesn't stop at my head when I see his playing.

DirtDog and LBS-bass like this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    This. What it means to be a professional player seems to be in the eyes of the beholder. I'm sure he's making a good living with his YouTube channel that is centered around bass playing. Whatever he wants to do aside from that I suppose is his choice. He won't need to make his living as a bassist in the traditional way, that's for sure.

5. The list of slap bass players making a good living in their pajama bottoms and flip flops is pretty small.

dSay, GregC, Outshined91 and 27 others like this.
  6. gusrb5

gusrb5

Apr 12, 2013
    South Korea
    Haha, I think so, too..

7. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Nice thing about that video is that he isn't running ahead of time, as most people do, even famous ones.

Justinian and gusrb5 like this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hey - that doesn't mean they're not playing out in public!
    screen-shot-2020-04-04-at-10400-am.png

GregC, basspraiser, dbrillha and 16 others like this.
  9. gusrb5

gusrb5

Apr 12, 2013
    South Korea
    I remember him playing D'angelo - Feel Like Makin Love on youtube. Who is he?

Swamp_Ronin likes this.
  10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Mono Neon is one of the most gifted creative artists in a generation or two. More talented than I can imagine. Happens to have chosen bass (righty played upside-down lefty, though he's righty) as his primary. He was going to be Prince's new bassist before Prince went and got himself dead. :( but Mono's the real deal...

TyBo, HolmeBass, ElMon and 13 others like this.
  11. gusrb5

gusrb5

Apr 12, 2013
    South Korea
    A righty who plays lefty bass? That's quite odd. Anyway this is my first time watching his gig and I must say, he is really amazing! What a nice voice!

BlueTalon and bholder like this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, he did it intentionally, to make it easier to bend the strings with his right hand, as I understand it. Dude's a helluva guitarist too, from what I've heard. And yeah, really nice, wide ranging voice, and he writes all his own stuff.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    There's a great blues guitarist who plays the same way, Eric Gales, here they are just jamming together at NAMM 5 years back. Mono's stretched wayyyy out musically since then, but what a groove...

MarkA, Clark W, ElMon and 5 others like this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    He has. You just posted a clip of it.

There are VERY few bassists in the world making more money than he is, and even fewer getting his kind of exposure.

HolmeBass, Stoddyboi, J_Bass and 6 others like this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Zappa had the sense to do a series of "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar" albums. I hope Davie504 sees the wisdom....

gusrb5 likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) Who is "SMV"?

2) YouTube is monetized. Dude is making BANK. He's likely (and I'm not kidding) making way more money than Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, and Adam Nitti combined.

3) His style of playing is great.... for a few seconds. I can skip around his videos for a minute and then I'm done. I don't thinks thousands of people per night would pay to see him play. Amd no touring act can afford to pay him what he's making in his undies at home.

In short, for what he does, he has chosen the proper path. Today, that's how somebody like him can make a living.

17. gusrb5

gusrb5

Apr 12, 2013
    South Korea
    Ah, there are some parts I should've said better. My bad.
    SMV stands for Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, and Marcus Miller.
    And I think he is NOT the most musical, or technical player in this realm. But truly 'influencial' to younglings, and I think he has his own style that works really well to millions of people out there.
    I think the way of editing the video and the image of him is so meme-y that makes professional musicians dislike watching his playing, but as a player he is quite good at making slap lines IMO.
    Thousands of people wouldnt come to see him as alone but I think he would be a great addition to good funk bands. That's why I thought as a missed opportunity.

But as a bedroom player, he earned so many things that any of challenge arent needed..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    jw23mind likes this.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Guess those 9 million people weren't around yet when everybody was cranking out versions of "Sunny" in the late 60s.

cnltb, ElMon, scobis215 and 4 others like this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I do think he's talented. I just think his style can be taken in little bites.... not all night.

But I don't think ANY funk band could pay him a fraction of what he's making right now. So my point is that's it's NOT a missed opportunity.

But, just for the sake of a fun conversation, can you name a successful funk band he would fit well in right now?

20. gusrb5

gusrb5

Apr 12, 2013
    South Korea

I'm quite digging this version. Great video, simple but powerful instrument section, and outstanding vocalist..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022