Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 20one, Jan 15, 2004.

1. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I'll start off by sayin that I'm still a newb and hardly have a clue what I'm doing lol... the quality isn't that great as I don't really have all the cool gadgets to record with and whatnot.

I've never really had any other bass players listen to my playing (since I live in a podunk town) but I'd like to hear some input on it...

It doesn't have any leads since I don't have a loop pedal (it's on the list of toys to get) but there is melody...

Feedback would be appreciated! :)

http://members.cox.net/moeuhane/basssolo2.mp3

Edit: I used my Cirrus 6 string and a little "wah" effect

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I really think the level of sophistication present in this solo is way, way above a self-confessed 'newb'. You didn't play this piece, did ya?

3. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    You definitly tell it's an amateur recording, so I have no reason to doubt him. I liked it, sometimes it lost energy, but it was a very nice recording. I like the tone, and the use of delay as a loop, but that section seemed a tad out of place. Good stuff, though.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, sound pretty good, reminds me of when I noodle around late at night plugged into my computer with headphones on.

I'd say, while there is some nice playing and some nice melodies in there, it really didn't GRAB me or speak to me, it sounded like educated noodling, Some cool ideas, but you should refine it, take it to the editor and rearrange it.

5. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Tones, the level of this piece is derived from the fact that it was played on a 6 string bass making it rather easier to play than it really sounds...

When I stated I was a newb I wasn't nessessarily saying that I sucked, I used to play piano so the tapping technique really wasn't too hard for me to pick up, I just haven't quite mastered it yet... I assure you it took me a little time to record that without screwing up lol

WR -- yeah, I have plenty of ideas for the song but I have a feeling it's gonna end up being part of a full arrangement lol

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

Are you a converted guitar player?

7. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I wouldn't say converted, I can play guitar but sadly I admit I'm way better with bass than I am on guitar.

I was forced to take piano lessons as a child, which is where I picked it up, then I started playin bass when I was 14, probably started messing around with guitar when I was 15 but really never got too serious with it.

8. Me like!

... does sound like some of the stuff I do on my classical.

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Phew! For a minute there I was starting to feel terribly insecure. I loved it, mate. I'm a huge fan of tapping and creative solo bass comp., (I was overjoyed to hear minimal slap), so props to you for being wicked :D

10. Lots of potential there!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Well, pal, you saying you are a newbie sure gives me some bad confidence! :)
    Like your sound and the funky parts of your solo.

12. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    ***!

this thing is beautiful! needs some connecting but omg its on my favs playlist!

13. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    eh, next day off I get I'll try to make it a lil better... when I first started playin bass I stuck with the "follow the guitar" type of playing and I've found that it's really hard for me to get out of that and break off to do cool stuff such as this attempt at a solo lol